Illustration of the week #4

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

uppercase

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:55 pm

I've got to say that I think Valentino's suits are close to perfection, in the Roman style, and accessorized classically.

Apart from what you may think of the man himself, he dresses beautifully and the light grey suit above (second from top, standing with woman) is close to perfection. This suit is not drape, not excessively lean, but just beautifully fitted.
alden

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:01 pm

This suit is not drape, not excessively lean, but just beautifully fitted.
I have to agree with you here. And the light gray is a great foil for elegant dress. Valentino has kept any exaggeration away from his suit, it appears very natural and simple.

Michael
belimad

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Gents,
I, much like Mr. Ferre in the picture above, are a rather large person. I've been experimenting with several tailors, but so far haven't found a solution I like. What I would like to ask, if at all possible, is for good pictures of large men wearing tailored suits, such that I can take them to one of these tailors and adjust my future suits accordingly. Both trousers and jackets, always in a conservative style as my current job requires so. I'll be eternally grateful!
alden

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Gents,
I, much like Mr. Ferre in the picture above, are a rather large person. I've been experimenting with several tailors, but so far haven't found a solution I like. What I would like to ask, if at all possible, is for good pictures of large men wearing tailored suits, such that I can take them to one of these tailors and adjust my future suits accordingly. Both trousers and jackets, always in a conservative style as my current job requires so. I'll be eternally grateful!
GFF is your model. Google him and get images to take to your tailor. I am not sure you will find a more elegant "large" man anywhere.

Michael
belimad

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks Michael for the suggestion. I have already done that, but have found a limited number of images, and not too much detail in them (e.g. no clear view of the trousers). Any other "models" you can think of that you would suggest?
Balagan

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:30 am

Michel Grimbert, a co-owner of Arnys (French "temple" of certain menswear style) , is probably a good candidate as well.
But well, some would say he looks a tat like GF....
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/200 ... auche.html
  • Information