Bad Bates news

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

alden

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:36 pm

LL members

I was in London last week and stopped by Bates and had a heap of very bad news. It seems the renewal project for Jermyn St. is moving forward and a rubber stamp is about to be embossed.

Support on London radio, in the press and on the net has made some sort of an impression on city of Westminster planners but barring some serious intervention, the project is going to be approved.

The one thing that might sway the public servants would be more massive public support and the receiving of letters. So, take a moment today and write a letter of support for Bates to the following address:

Planning Department
Westminster City Hall
64 Victoria Street
London

I am in London about twice a month and would be very distressed not to have old Bates around. See what you can do to help, write today.

Thanks

M Alden
March_Hare

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:47 am

Terrible news. Especially as I have not yet had the joy of purchasing a hat from Bates.

After trawling the Internet I have been able to find little information on what 'redevelopment' actually encompasses. Replacing 'substandard and tired' properties with what? Glass facades more fitting for a Hugo Boss? I think it would be prudent to leave my rant for the letter.
kilted2000

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:53 am

I will certainly send a letter.
storeynicholas

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:54 am

March_Hare wrote:Terrible news. Especially as I have not yet had the joy of purchasing a hat from Bates.

After trawling the Internet I have been able to find little information on what 'redevelopment' actually encompasses. Replacing 'substandard and tired' properties with what? Glass facades more fitting for a Hugo Boss? I think it would be prudent to leave my rant for the letter.
Don't tempt me on the meaning of 'redevelopment' and 're-generation' - There'll be a price to pay for it all - and sooner, rather than later - but are there any London architects on board here - in the LL?
NJS
Charlie Huang

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 am

I'm putting quill to vellum as we speak.
Bishop of Briggs

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 pm

I know several Westminster City Councillors personally and will lobby them to save Bates.
alden

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Go Bishop Go!

That is great news. Thanks for the help

Michael
Cary Grant

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Question for our London residents:

I understand this may very well be the end of Bates in the current space- but is this the end of the business as well? What little I've read, I haven't seen the future of the business addressed.
May they just move elswhere?
DinosaurTT

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 pm

I was in Bates for a hat this morning and had a good chat with the owner about it. He is going to try and fight, but he does not sound positive about finding a new location to continue the business. He said he would probably retire and that would be it for the business. I think that would be a real shame, but the rent there has been a lot lower than the rest of the street even if another location did come up apparently.

What irritated me more was that English Heritage have turned it down to be listed as it does not have enough architectural heritage. Even if the building does not, what about shops like Bates themselves. Surely there is more history to Bates than having another Marks and Spencer there
storeynicholas

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm

DinosaurTT wrote:I was in Bates for a hat this morning and had a good chat with the owner about it. He is going to try and fight, but he does not sound positive about finding a new location to continue the business. He said he would probably retire and that would be it for the business. I think that would be a real shame, but the rent there has been a lot lower than the rest of the street even if another location did come up apparently.

What irritated me more was that English Heritage have turned it down to be listed as it does not have enough architectural heritage. Even if the building does not, what about shops like Bates themselves. Surely there is more history to Bates than having another Marks and Spencer there
English Heritage are so under-funded that they cannot police the listings that they have got and, therefore, I think, from my experience, that they tend to resist any further listings (or, rather, recommending any to the Secretary of State). There are also firms of architects that specialize in advising the owners of buildings on sites with development value. For a few thousand pounds, they pick out the least meritorious aspects of a proposed listed building, bury the good points and provide a written report. This the owner sends to EH and, often without any independent investigation or site visit by EH officials, the listing application is refused. Many buildings are being lost because of this. It is obvious to anyone visiting Bate's shop that it's shopfront and interior are of architectural merit but unless an architect provides a report to give the reasons (and that would amount to fresh evidence to enable a further listing application to be made), the shop will be lost. Other examples of fine London buildings being lost even now are the Hammersmith Palais and the building housing the Odeon (West End) Leicester Square on the SW corner - just visit this - stand back and look up at it - a real gem - and go inside and appreciate its interior - but none of this counts because a developer is going to teat it down and put up a 245 bed cheapjack hotel in a skyscraper on the spot - and nothing should stand in the way of that, should it? The site of Bate's is probably already ear-marked for a plain plate glass window and door for the first of a succession of cheap little businesses peddling the usual rubbish.
NJS.
storeynicholas

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 pm

DinosaurTT wrote:I was in Bates for a hat this morning and had a good chat with the owner about it. He is going to try and fight, but he does not sound positive about finding a new location to continue the business. He said he would probably retire and that would be it for the business. I think that would be a real shame, but the rent there has been a lot lower than the rest of the street even if another location did come up apparently.

English Heritage are so under-funded that they cannot police the listings that they have got and, therefore, I think, from my experience, that they tend to resist any further listings (or, rather, recommending any to the Secretary of State). There are also firms of architects that specialize in advising the owners of buildings on sites with development value. For a few thousand pounds, they pick out the least meritorious aspects of a proposed listed building, bury the good points and provide a written report. This the owner sends to EH and, often without any independent investigation or site visit by EH officials, the listing application is refused. Many buildings are being lost because of this. It is obvious to anyone visiting Bate's shop that its shopfront and interior are of architectural merit but unless an architect provides a report to give the reasons (and that would amount to fresh evidence to enable a further listing application to be made), the shop will be lost. Other examples of fine London buildings being lost even now are the Hammersmith Palais and the building housing the Odeon (West End) Leicester Square on the SW corner - just visit this - stand back and look up at it - a real gem - and go inside and appreciate its interior - but none of this counts because a developer is going to teat it down and put up a 245 bed cheapjack hotel in a skyscraper on the spot - and nothing should stand in the way of that, should it? The site of Bate's is probably already ear-marked for a plain plate glass window and door for the first of a succession of cheap little businesses peddling the usual rubbish.
NJS.
shredder

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Crying shame. The West End is really not a friendly environment for SMEs these days. It is starting to resemble an outdoor mall occupied by the same retail brands one sees everywhere. I suppose it's easy to forget that these venerable firms such as Bates made West End what it is today.

I can understand the temptation to retire rather than pay for build-out and fitting costs at another property, especially in this market condition.

I hope they can continue to operate in their current location.
mek

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:05 pm

.I went in to Bates yesterday to buy a new cap. The gentleman that I spoke to said that they had been to see the plans for the development and he thought that it would get permission. So by September Bates would be gone. I asked if they would relocate the store but he said they thought Jermyn street was the only place that Bates could survive so they would probably just close the business: Very sad. In few years one can expect only to see the MacDonald’s of apparel in these locations.
misterjase

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:49 am

I am in the market for a soft felt hat. I better get on to it.
culverwood

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 am

I noticed Trumpers are moving or have moved to Duke of York Street but did not get as far as Bates last week. Is it still there? If so for how long?
  • Information