Ltd. ed. olive PoW jacket

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Costi

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:50 pm

The sun finally showed up on the sky after a cloudy and rainy week. I seized the opportunity to to take a few snapshots of the coat I commissioned from the London Lounge limited edition olive “Sicilian PoW” cloth. Once again, an extraordinary cloth, both in terms of looks and the way it tailored!

I went for an equally PoW-ish cut – the famous two-button style, one above and one below the waistline. I like the look even more than the much-debated 3 roll to 2 (+/- .5). The coat is a tad shorter than a 3B and the quarters more open.

I was not alone in the park :D

Here she is again:

Oops, those squirls are like quicksilver!

DD MacDonald

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks Costi!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Edwin DeBoise runs up for me in the cloth.

DDM
storeynicholas

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Very, very good, Costi.
NJS
shredder

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Lovely!
Gruto

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Costi, it looks very good. The coat has more fullness than others you've shown, hasn't it? I like the trousers too. I guess they are made of worsted flannel or whipcord?
Costi

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:50 pm

Thank you all, I am glad you like it. Gruto, yes, the coat is somewhat more loose through the waist than others, because there is no button at the waist to pinch it and I didn't want the coat cut very close to the body at the waist as we sometimes see this style in old photographs. It is an odd jacket and I wanted it casual and comfortable, but there is just enough waist definition so that it is not a sack. The trousers are, indeed, worsted flannel - my usual cut.
pbc

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:23 pm

Indeed, that is very nice. Thank you for sharing the images. Is that also a commissioned overcoat?

pbc
gherrmann

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 pm

a fetching coat, indeed. I'm not sure I'm totally in love with the button stance, but the coat speaks to me nonetheless. well done.
The Doctor

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm

DD MacDonald wrote:Thanks Costi!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Edwin DeBoise runs up for me in the cloth.

DDM
David,

Would you like to see a sneak preview modelled by Matthew? :wink:
DD MacDonald

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:54 pm

The Doctor wrote:
DD MacDonald wrote:Thanks Costi!

DDM
David,

Would you like to see a sneak preview modelled by Matthew? :wink:
Bring it on, D
Costi

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Please do, I am very curious, too! :)
jb

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Costi,

You mentioned in an earlier thread that this cloth was difficult to photograph. Michael Alden's photo is much more olive than what I see on my monitor with your coat. Would you say that this photo is true to the color of the cloth?

Thanks,
Joel
marcelo

Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:01 am

This is a very handsome, inspiring ensemble, including the OC, the image of which was posted in another thread. The positioning of the buttons – one above, the other below the waistline – is new to my inexperienced eyes. Do you think that, it in this case, both buttons should always be done?
PS: Who is that standing tall over there?
Costi

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:35 am

jb, at least on my monitor the colout does appear true to reality, especially in the close up photograph. In full sunlight it appears lighter on the screen, but I suppose it appears lighter in real life, too.
Marcelo - thank you - yes, this style of coat is worn all buttoned up, unlike the rule for regular two button coats.
PS: standing tall over there is general De Gaulle.
garu

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:00 am

Costi, your odd jacket is very handsome, indeed.

As others have pointed out, this buttoning style (2-button / paddock) requires that both buttons be buttoned. It also usually involves having the waistline of the trousers centered between the buttons. It is difficult to tell from the photos, but is your trouser waistline that high? It appears as if the waistline is further down, closer to the bottom button.

Still - and regardless - very nicely done.

Ta,
garu
  • Information