London Recommendations Sought

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
palmer

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Gentlemen:

I write seeking recommendations for London hotels (especially in or near Mayfair, St. James's, or the Strand) where my wife and I might stay wtih my parents for several days in May. As my wife and I will be sailing from the US to the UK -- and therefore anticipate being well-acclimated to the time change when we arrive -- my parents plan to arrive in London early so that they, too, will be acclimated when we arrive. The Savoy has long been my wife's and my choice in London, but, because it will still be undergoing renovations when we all arrive, I'm looking for a substitute that will take very good care of my parents who are a little older and haven't traveled overseas on their own in some time. If my parents are happy with the hotel's service and their room, I'm certain that my wife and I will be happy with our room, etc.

I'm most interested in any recommendations based on recent personal experience -- especially experience with this type of trip.

Thank you.

Best regards,
DD MacDonald

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:17 pm

The Stafford, St. James Place. Wonderful, just wonderful.
whyescalar

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Connaught.
storeynicholas

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:58 pm

From a short article that I did:

Everybody has heard of the Ritz, the Savoy, The Dorchester, Claridge's, the Connaught and the Berkeley Hotels. They are luxurious, world-famous and very expensive. They is even a story of an English courtier once having telephoned Claridge's, asking to speak with 'the King', to which the unruffled reply was: "which one?". There are six, other, lesser-known, discreet and luxurious London hotels which I suggest deserve a trial and they all have very reasonable rates, which you might put to the test if you are considering living and working or studying in the UK.

Brown's Hotel
Set in Albemarle Street, in the heart of London's exclusive Mayfair, Brown's Hotel is famed for its great British breakfasts (greatly appreciated by James Bond creator, Ian Fleming) and afternoon tea, in a comfortable English-style setting. It opened in 1837, the first year of Queen Victoria's reign and is still going strong under the guiding hand of famed hotelier Rocco Forte.

The Goring Hotel
Within a stone's throw of Buckingham Palace in Belgravia and overlooking splendid gardens, is the Goring |Hotel which was founded by the Goring family nearly a century ago and is still in their ownership and run according to their guiding principle of top-rate customer service in a setting which subtly blends the traditional with the contemporary.

The Cavendish Hotel
Built on the site of the famed old Cavendish, the creation, from 1902, of legendary cook and hotelier, Rosa Lewis (dramatised as the 'Duchess of Duke Street'), the Cavendish offers every modern convenience and is situated right in the middle of world-famous the shopping areas of Jermyn Street and Bond Street. From the top of the tower, where there are sumptuous suites (one even with a balcony), there is a magnificent view of the London skyline:

The Hotel Russell
The Victorian Hotel Russell (immortalised in T S Eliot's 'Cats' poems), occupies the whole of the eastern side of Russell Square and is situated just around the corner from the British Museum. Just having been the subject of a massive and impressive renovation programme, it also has enormous conference facilities.

Dukes Hotel
Also favoured by James Bond creator, Ian Fleming, Dukes Hotel is where he is supposed first to have encountered the phrase 'shaken not stirred' for a Martini cocktail (as the phrase was used by the barman there in the 1950s). This is an expression which Fleming went on to immortalize as one of James Bond's catch phrases, when ordering his favourite cocktail. Dukes has also recently been subject to a grand refurbishment. It is tucked away in a side street just off St James's Street in the heart of the area famed for London's gentleman's clubs and shops.

Flemings Hotel and Apartments
Yet another hotel which has been subject to recent and ambitious refurbishment, resulting in comfort and luxury, Flemings Hotel comprises part hotel (in the traditional sense) and part serviced apartments (maybe for those intending a longer stay), situated in Mayfair's Half Moon Street.
NJS
culverwood

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:14 pm

My choice would be the Stafford or Connaught but the Berkley is the most similar to the Savoy in style. It is near Knightsbridge/Belgravia which could be good or bad depending on ones opinion of both.

My opinion of NJS's suggestions:
Browns - possibility
Goring - nice but near Victoria station
Cavendish - good position but not a patch on the others
Russel - not even a good position unless you are an habituee of the British Museum
Dukes - not quite as good as the Stafford
Flemings - don't know of
Concordia

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:18 pm

A recent find from my return trip is the group that includes the Charlotte St Hotel. They run about 4 or 5 boutiques in London and I was very impressed with this one. Duke's is also good but more old-fashioned (in a good way).

If I get the family over in March, we may shoot for a pool with park access. That probably means either the Haymarket, or the Berkeley.
storeynicholas

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 pm

culverwood wrote:My choice would be the Stafford or Connaught but the Berkley is the most similar to the Savoy in style. It is near Knightsbridge/Belgravia which could be good or bad depending on ones opinion of both.

My opinion of NJS's suggestions:
Browns - possibility
Goring - nice but near Victoria station
Cavendish - good position but not a patch on the others
Russel - not even a good position unless you are an habituee of the British Museum
Dukes - not quite as good as the Stafford
Flemings - don't know of
The Cavendish isn't as good as the others - except for the views from the 2 top suites - especially the one with a biggish balcony but it is right in the centre of everything for shopping and restaurants and theatres.
Fleming's has been totally revamped and has serviced apartments too.
NJS
Aristide

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 pm

I've stayed at the Cavendish several times, on business. I believe it is also known as de Vere. More recent stays have been at The Lanesborough, which has been a far superior experience, especially during those times when one could have a cigar with a Scotch in the Library Bar.
jefferyd

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 pm

I used to stay frequently at San Domenico house in Chelsea and quite enjoyed it. Formerly known as The Sloane, it's a small place tucked into the Cadogan Square area just off Sloane street; quiet, comfortable, and the staff is very attentive.
palmer

Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:16 am

I thank you all very much for your suggestions and welcome others. Also, I'll do my best to let everyone know where we ultimately stay and our opinions.

Thank you once more.

Best regards,
JohnL

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 pm

I don't know about the hotels but Claridge's and the Connaught will both give the opportunity of some fine food without leaving the building. The wine proces are however eye watering.
  • Information