Dressing the spherically obese?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

marcelo

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 pm

Tone Loki wrote:I should really post some photos to show you the optical wonders that can be achieved by a good tailor!
Do that please, by all means!
boxcar

Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks for the offer, Tone Loki. Yes, I would enjoy seeing your photos.

And thanks for the article, Marcelo. An interesting article.

Sadly, the client lives in the arid semi-desert southwestern United States, near the Mexican border. I'm not sure a three piece suit is practical.

Mr. Gleason did have style. I have often wondered if he used the flower in the lapel as a distraction from other parts of his physique?

I have noticed a trend in the airid southwest the past 15 years. Grown men are opting to wear kinder-wear. Even grown men of a certain gravataas are wearing it. Along with grannies and joggers. Cotton khaki shorts, sometimes pleated. Buttoned short sleeve shirts w/ one pocket or a tee shirt, and running shoes. It is the uniform of boys in kindergarten.
Greger

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 am

High button stance seems too high for some over weight guys.

Heavier cloth or canvas makes Jackie Gleason look better.
koolhistorian

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:37 pm

boxcar wrote:Thanks for the offer, Tone Loki. Yes, I would enjoy seeing your photos.

And thanks for the article, Marcelo. An interesting article.

Sadly, the client lives in the arid semi-desert southwestern United States, near the Mexican border. I'm not sure a three piece suit is practical.

Mr. Gleason did have style. I have often wondered if he used the flower in the lapel as a distraction from other parts of his physique?

I have noticed a trend in the airid southwest the past 15 years. Grown men are opting to wear kinder-wear. Even grown men of a certain gravataas are wearing it. Along with grannies and joggers. Cotton khaki shorts, sometimes pleated. Buttoned short sleeve shirts w/ one pocket or a tee shirt, and running shoes. It is the uniform of boys in kindergarten.
So the problem is not with the cut, is with the will. Being on the same side like Tone Loki - the first drive towards bespoke was linked to the fact that I did not found good fitting suits, but I wanted (and also had) to wear them. Some men are very loose on what they will wear if not constrained - shorts, jumpers, t-shirts, trainers - mostly because they never had a properly fitted outfit - shoes, shirts, pants, etc. - so they feel that they are constrained by "stiff" clothes!
Another issue goes with psychology - most of the "gravitationally challenged" people hate their physical body, even if they might be very proud of their intelligence. The result is that they despise all others for their "lack of intelligence and good looks".
Being in the desert has other constraints - three pieces are out of the question, linen or cotton suits are the staple, light shoes, etc. The main question remains if your subject really wants to improve his sartorial status or not!
  • Information