Alterations to bespoke SR pre-owned suit?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

JDelage

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:05 pm

All,

I just bought on eBay a 3-pc tweed suit that was made by Henry Poole. I expect there will be some alterations to be made. Could I go to Henry Poole for this, or just to a good alteration shop near my home (in Paris)? I'm planning to go to London in January, so I have the opportunity to do either. I don't want to commit a faux pas, and I also don't know what to expect in terms of prices....
carl browne

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Excellent question, and here's another in the same vein:

Is it bad form to have your current tailor do alterations to a former tailor's work? The former tailor no longer travels to Los Angeles, and I seldom get to London.

Carl
RWS

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:30 pm

carl browne wrote:. . . . Is it bad form to have your current tailor do alterations to a former tailor's work? . . . .
It may be, but I've done it. However, after reckoning the double cost, it mightn't have been reasonable to have done it.
Jordan Marc

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:49 am

JD:

Before walking into Henry Poole with the eBay suit in hand, try contacting the managing director of Poole by phone or letter.
The firm's workload may be such that there isn't a tailor to spare for an alteration job. Poole might supply you with a name of two of tailors who specialize in alterations, say, a retired tailor trained at Poole. It's also possible Poole might undertake the job, on the off-chance you might become a customer one day.

JMB
  • Information