The Thousand Pound Question

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Tone Loki

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:15 pm

A question for my fellow London Loungers -

I have finally paid off my last suit (I'll post pictures as soon as the trousers have had their final adjustments) and I have a much smaller budget for my next satorial adventure unfortunately.

I know it's terribly crass to discuss clothing in purely monetary terms, but the reality is I have to plan a little less extravagantly in 2009 - those Lobbs will have to wait for now!

So, my question is, how would one spend a limited amount, say something between £500 and £1000, in the best value for money manner?

I'm wondering if there is an off-Saville Row bespoke service which people have used and found more than satisfactory? Or perhaps, opinions on MTM at a comparative price?

I'd be looking primarily for a spring/summer suit, I would imagine.

Thank you in advance for your help..
storeynicholas

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Connock & Lockie in Lamb's Conduit Street - a little over £1000 but not much and great value.
NJS
Tone Loki

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Thank you, Nicholas.. I fear even their reasonable prices may be a little rich for my blood this time out.. They charge £1300, I believe...

A few people have recommended George in Haringay - very close to both my work and home. I've seen a lot of the suits he makes for the Mods in London.. Anyone ever used him before?
Concordia

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:35 pm

One could always freshen the inventory of bespoke shirts, ties, and socks.
storeynicholas

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Tone Loki wrote:Thank you, Nicholas.. I fear even their reasonable prices may be a little rich for my blood this time out.. They charge £1300, I believe...

A few people have recommended George in Haringay - very close to both my work and home. I've seen a lot of the suits he makes for the Mods in London.. Anyone ever used him before?
Costello & Sons in Ilford are tailors and also do much film and theatre work and military uniforms and, although I have not used them, I have seen their products and you might like to have a look as I am fairly sure that they come in under C&L in price. They have a website: http://www.costello.co.uk/ contact page is there. They say it is a 4 generation business.
NJS
DinosaurTT

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:21 pm

I have recently used George in Harringay myself and was very pleased with the outcome. With my second purchase there are probably a couple of improvements UI would make with slightly higher arm scyes. I found he became warmer after the first measurement stage and in the subsequent fittings he was very chatty and accomodating. I am not sure how he drafts the pattern in terms of a properly bespoke process or adapting stock patterns, but it is certainly a big step up on some made to measure places. I chatted to him about the floating canvas which he uses and that on the jacket the work is all hand done including the button holes which he has somebody do for him. Prices seem to be about £650 for a 2 piece with another £150 for extra trousers.
nicksally

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Jump on a train and go to see the folks at Cheshire Bespoke in Crewe; maybe not bespoke in the truest sense, but they make remarkable suits, with a high element of handwork and well within the budget you are working to.
Rossini

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 pm

I have heard very good things about Jasper Littman http://www.jasperlittman.co.uk/
  • Information