Best gentlemen store in your city?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

alden

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:50 pm

better say no more. i guess i politics is not my forte.
Costi and RWS have responded in inspired fashion and they have done so with the aim of engaging with you, not seeking to vanquish or assert any kind of victory. The desire for dominance, and the concomitant displays of petulance from the mouths of the depleted, common on the web, is not currency in this club.

I would suggest to you that many of us champion elegant living and that begins with things like behaviour and ends with things like dress.

M Alden
mek

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:26 am

Very well said.
MEK
hgb3

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:19 pm

I would suggest to you that many of us champion elegant living and that begins with things like behaviour and ends with things like dress.
Hear,hear.
JRLT

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:15 pm

But it is an ideal world in which we wear nothing but bespoke and there is no room for RTW in our wardrobes. The original poster praised the New York Ralph Lauren store. I wouldn't purchase a suit from RL, but ties, casual trousers, shirts and polo shirts yes. I also find their interpretation of WASP style charming and, dare I say, at times it provides inspiration. Paul Stuart is another store I visit with pleasure. What I, and I believe the majority of LLers, cannot comprehend is that RL, Tom Ford, Armani and others can offer a RTW suit at more than the price of bespoke and there we do not go.

Surely this is a forum dedicated to all the finer things in life and not just the minutiae of bespoke suit making. A stroll to the RL store on Madison Avenue may not exactly constitute a finer thing in life, but it is nonetheless a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:11 am

it's a lovely mansion. It belonged to someone named Gertrude Rhinelander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinelander_Mansion
Cufflink79

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:39 am

The Rhinelander Mansion is a very nice shop. If it hasn't already happened, the whole mansion will be devoted to menswear only. With everything else across the street.

The RL shop in Chicago is also great, and the RL Grill behind it is a great place for lunch.

Best Regards.

Cufflink79
kapellmeister

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:10 pm

As i live across the Mighty Columbia River from a great city,i have to defer to the larger metropolitan area. Portland's best is.in my opinion,John Helmer.Their selection of hats and fedora,sis only equaled by Bernie Utz in Seattle and the staff are a delight to work with!

Handlebar
marcelo

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Welcome to the LL, kapellmeister
I am looking forward to you contributions on the culture of handlebar Moustache. Yesterday I posted a missive on the vanishing culture of letter writing and it's nice to know you are member of a Fountain Pen Forum.

Cheers
Marcelo
kapellmeister

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 am

marcelo wrote:Welcome to the LL, kapellmeister
I am looking forward to you contributions on the culture of handlebar Moustache. Yesterday I posted a missive on the vanishing culture of letter writing and it's nice to know you are member of a Fountain Pen Forum.

Cheers
Marcelo
Thanks Marcelo!!! I really look forward to posting and catching up on the archives.
I will start a post about the moustache soon unless someone else has already done so.I also will post some photos.
Feel free to PM me or contact via yahoo Messenger or email.

Regards,

Jim (handlebar)
sartorius

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Surely this is a forum dedicated to all the finer things in life and not just the minutiae of bespoke suit making. A stroll to the RL store on Madison Avenue may not exactly constitute a finer thing in life, but it is nonetheless a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
Hear hear!

I visited NYC for the first time last month and I must agree with santy about Bergdorf Goodman. Certainly my favourite mens store in that city, on the basis of a 4 day visit.

I actually think there is some intellectual interest in considering they way retail outlets present themselves, how the "retail experience" has evolved as a result and what we may infer about them and their customers. Consider the Abercrombie & Fitch phenomenon. The stores in London and NYC are carbon copies of one another. Large buildings over many floors, dimly lit with music pumping out at full volume. It is not so much a shop as a nightclub. Indeed, if you reflect on A&F's advertising images and the bare torsoed male model who is a fixture in the foyer of the London store, you realise that A&F is not reallly selling clothes at all. It is selling sex, which of course appeals directly to its predominently teenaged customer base. Like it or loathe it, it is an absolutely brilliant business model.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:34 am

i like bergdorf and Goodman, but i have never bought anything there, i just go to see what the rest are wearing, it's very expensive, but somehow interesting experience.
for me they are a couple months behind, i know the richest men of the city go to shop there. but i rather order clothes from England.
cordovan's, camel hair sweaters, hats, shoes. why even bother. England is the place where all high quality clothes are made, that's in my opinion.

hello shoe man.
  • Information