Best gentlemen store in your city?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:38 am

i just want to ask the member of this forum, what they consider to be the best store in their respective cities. By this i mean stores which provide the gentlemen with everything from hats to shoes. My three favorite stores in New York are these.

Turnbull & asser on 57th. They always have something beautiful, that can only be bought here. Unmatched as far as my taste goes.

Ralph Lauren on 72 st. keeps getting better year after year.

Bergdorf and Goodman, better than saks and barneys .Last time i went there i even saw bowler hats for sale. and there's a little room with Hermes ties and silks.
Sator

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:14 am

I suggest you find yourself a proper tailor and shirtmaker. A bespoke tailor and shirtmaker - and forget about those other junk stores (which I have visited in NYC).
NCW

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Why would you want one man jack of all trades, master of none? When I have been to Lock, I enjoy talking to a hatter, and would not want to go to a general store to buy a bowler. I know what you mean about convenience though, so I must admit that the nearest local source of good clothes (Ede just on the corner) is more likely to be on the cards than a trip to London.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:43 pm

but of course i patronize various tailors and shirt makers, but their prices and their travel schedule is inconvenient, so i only see them twice a year.

Initially, my question was going to be, what is the best store in the world for men. My choice would be T&A, because i haven't see nothing better in these city.

Other than that I'm trying to stop wearing bespoke suits, since I'm currently unemployed and it's becoming kind of vulgar. Even puff daddy wears three pieces suits.

I wore that 2 years ago, stripes , flannels, double breasted. so i have to change for the worst this time. so at the moment my new thing is being casual and a little careless.

And, I'll keep wearing my dotted scarves and shawl collar cashmere or camel hair sweaters.
Costi

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:00 pm

santy567 wrote:Other than that I'm trying to stop wearing bespoke suits, since I'm currently unemployed and it's becoming kind of vulgar. Even puff daddy wears three pieces suits.

I wore that 2 years ago, stripes , flannels, double breasted. so i have to change for the worst this time. so at the moment my new thing is being casual and a little careless.
Santy dear, all those stripes, flannels, double breasted - which you already have in your wardrobe despite your current (hopefuly temporary) state of unemployment - rid your closet of them all if they were nohting but a disguise while you were employed and they have nothing to do with what you feel is your style. People might take you seriously if they see you dressed like that...
So bespoke suits are vulgar and out of fashion. What shall we do next? One-size-fits-all recycled paper overalls?

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:25 pm

i love bespoke suits, shirts, hats, shoes, gloves. I'll always support that trade. But what can i do when the commoners start to dress elegant, if that has ever happen. Should i try to dress better than them, I've never competed in my life, really. It's hard to see something that you love so much, being used by other people. casual is my the only way for me now. I don't think i can wear my bowler these days. i hope you make some sense of what I'm trying to communicate.
marcelo

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 am

santy567 wrote:...i hope you make some sense of what I'm trying to communicate.
I don't :)
RWS

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:56 am

santy567 wrote:i love bespoke suits, shirts, hats, shoes, gloves. I'll always support that trade. But what can i do when the commoners start to dress elegant, if that has ever happen.
I'd rejoice! If all mankind dressed well, not only would our eyes be soothed but (we might hope) something of the restraint and care given to dress would inform social discourse and intercourse as well: the world would be a better, more caring place!

Back to reality . . . .
santy567 wrote:. . . . It's hard to see something that you love so much, being used by other people. casual is my the only way for me now. . . .
Hmm . . . we've different approaches to life in society, I think. I may point out what you already know: casual dress is the order of the day throughout the West, so, by adopting casual dress as your normal dress, you've both abandoned what you prefer and condemned yourself to dressing in the manner of most others.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:31 am

if everyone dresses good, who would do the dirty work on earth. besides. one can be elegant on casual clothes. it's quiet more difficult than when wearing a dark suit.

Do you guys think that only the bad and the ugly wear dark colors as in the fantasy movies. it seems like the inelegant wear dark suits in order to appear as a Victorian impresario, in the order of Rothschild or Rockefeller. I mean i own a couple of dark suits, but how come everybody on earth wear dark suits, Is it still chic?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:36 am

by the way I've seen pictures of Alberto Santos-Dumont the aviator, looking very sharp on coat and tie, while he worked on his planes. he even carried a hadkerchief on his breast pocket and a nice straw hat. get it? he was manually working.
pvpatty

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:50 am

santy567 wrote:get it?
Can't say that I do, old man.
Costi

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 am

Dear Santy, you have been very sincere with us regarding your background, so I can only show my respect for that by being very frank with you: stop pretending to be who you are not; with us and with others. It is a waste of time.
What "commoners"? Are you living in a parallel world where you're an Archduke and the French Revolution just started? Let's get our feet back to Earth. If you pick phrases, quote them in the right context, if you are at all the person in whose mouth such words fit.
We are in absolutely no danger of being overwhelmed by an insurgence of elegance, on the contrary. If it makes you feel better, take a picture of you in your best dark bespoke suit with your bowler on and we'll be glad to tell if you look different enough from those vile "commoners" your Highness despises.
Perhaps you should work less on being different from others for the mere sake of it and work more on defining who YOU are. Then, if you would like to be somebody else, start filling in with some content before worrying about outer form. Otherwise you will turn into a hot air balloon that will fall to the ground at the first serious gust of cold wind.
Casual clothes have their place in a man's wardrobe and they do not exclude suits and ties. They are for different places and activities.
When you say it's hard to see someone else use something dear to you, I hope you realize that no two bespoke items made for different clients are alike. If you know how to dress, there is no danger of being mistaken for Puff Daddy.
Santy, I hope "you get it" and "you make some sense of what I am trying to communicate" here. I hope you will appreciate my frankness as much as I appreciate your candor. I continue to urge you to start reading through the LL archives, it will help straighten your confused ideas on dress and style. I'm afraid we can't be of much help on the terms you expect of us now, because we speak different languages (and I don't mean your English here). You want to go to the ball, but you think it's a waste of time to learn how to dance: don't you think you need to solve this contradiction first?
RWS

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:10 pm

I agree with Costi, Santy, and think that you will, too, after carefully reading his words.

The Lounge is a large and varied place. It includes at least one titled nobleman, descendant of Hapsburgs and Hohenzollerns, cousin to the British queen, and many who (in my grandfather's quaint but accurate phrase) are Nature's noblemen. Yet all come together here, in the comradeship of a common interest -- the art of living well, in every sense of that term -- without bias or disdain: an extraordinary group, into which we heartily welcome you. And you will gain most as a Lounger not from the very good guidance regarding dress but, correlatively, from the unspoken attitude of mutual respect and dignity: a recognition of the integrity and worth of each human being, simply by virtue of being human.
marcelo

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:34 pm

RWS wrote:I agree with Costi, Santy, and think that you will, too, after carefully reading his words.

The Lounge is a large and varied place. It includes at least one titled nobleman, descendant of Hapsburgs and Hohenzollerns, cousin to the British queen, and many who (in my grandfather's quaint but accurate phrase) are Nature's noblemen. Yet all come together here, in the comradeship of a common interest -- the art of living well, in every sense of that term -- without bias or disdain: an extraordinary group, into which we heartily welcome you. And you will gain most as a Lounger not from the very good guidance regarding dress but, correlatively, from the unspoken attitude of mutual respect and dignity: a recognition of the integrity and worth of each human being, simply by virtue of being human.
ditto

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:15 pm

sorry, if i offended anyone. better say no more. i guess i politics is not my forte.
  • Information