Great One Liners

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
storeynicholas

Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:
carl browne wrote:I certainly hope the Berra streaker story is not apocryphal!

That reminds me of the streaker that appeared on the Academy Awards show some time in the 1970s. David Niven was the master of ceremonies. When the streaker interrupted his presentation, Niven, without missing a beat, remarked how some people are always compelled to "display their shortcomings. " It brought down the roof.
Yes, quite superb. david Niven had an enormous fund of anecdotes. I am sure that everyone knows the one about the angrt Italian film director shouting at his cast and crew.... :shock:
NJS
No, we (I at least :oops: ) do not. Please tell 8).

Frog in Suit
Well, I think that it's in one of his autobiographical books The Moon's A Balloon or Bring On The Empty Horses I'm sorry that I don't remember the director's name - but an Italian film director became angry on set and turned on the cast and crew, shouting: You think I know **** nothing - BUT I TELL YOU - I KNOW **** ALL!

NJS
Concordia

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:48 pm

I heard that one about a Swiss conductor working in London.

Unban legend alert!
storeynicholas

Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 am

Indeed.
NJS
masterfred

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:43 pm

Wasn't the title of Bring on the Empty Horses a phrase attributed to Michael Curtiz (director of, among other films, Casablanca and Robin Hood)?
storeynicholas

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 pm

masterfred wrote:Wasn't the title of Bring on the Empty Horses a phrase attributed to Michael Curtiz (director of, among other films, Casablanca and Robin Hood)?
There's a reference to it in relation the filming of The Charge of The Light Brigade, which Cutiz directed, when he was referring to riderless mounts.
NJS
marcelo

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 pm

“... pain and pleasure at least are words which a man has no need, we may hope, to go to a Lawyer to know the meaning of.” Jeremy Bentham
storeynicholas

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:42 pm

marcelo wrote:“... pain and pleasure at least are words which a man has no need, we may hope, to go to a Lawyer to know the meaning of.” Jeremy Bentham
Jeremy Bentham, is, they, say, these days, merely a stuffed shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Present - but not voting - what sort of life is that???
NJS :roll:
Rogue49

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Young women...old scotch
storeynicholas

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Rogue49 wrote:Young women...old scotch
Bottle by the neck, woman by the waist.
marcelo

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:22 pm

Not voting, indeed, but if the voting itself is to be fair, it is to be conducted on Benthamite grounds, on the balance of pleasures and pains ensuing from it…
RWS

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:38 pm

storeynicholas wrote:
Where did I hear, "bottle by the neck, woman by the hand"?
storeynicholas

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

RWS wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:
Where did I hear, "bottle by the neck, woman by the hand"?
That's the first stage.....
NJS
carl browne

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:37 pm

"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a puropse in life is not."
Oscar Wilde.

Do any of you gentlemen know if this quote is authentic? It seems ungrammatical. Shouldn't it be "Looking good and dressing well are necessities?" And isn't the idiom "looking good" a late 20th century device? Is it even grammatical to "look good?"
Or should one "look well," instead?

Is this a corruption of an actual Wilde Quote?

I thought I'd keep this in my mental one liner file, but I'd like go get it right.

Carl
andrei67

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:41 am

"Move slowly if you must, but don't stop"
Robert Evans
newtom

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:09 pm

About the UK's current Loyal Opposition. "x was born with a silver spoon up his nose."
  • Information