Position Available: Bespoke Tailor in Sydney

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Sator

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 am

I went to my tailor for a fitting today to find that he had lost a tailor and was having to refuse new work. He had advertised locally, and in an ominous trend typical of today, the adverts in the Italian speaking paper went unanswered. The danger is that he may even have to close or limit his business as a result.

In any case, I promised to do what I could to help. So, if anyone here knows of a tailor who has experience making up coats, can you please get them to contact Adamo Marrone:

casa-adamo@bigpond.com

Please write to him in Italian or English at the above e-mail address. But if you are based in Hong Kong, or Singapore the finisher working for Adamo is Chinese and if your English is poor you could communicate in Cantonese.

Experience required: bespoke tailoring, making up of coats, including hand tailoring. Cutting experience not required, although this would be looked upon favourably.

The business is located in the heart of Sydney, Australia. The suburb of Leichardt is a pleasant place to work and the traditional Piccolo Italia full of fine Italian restaurants.

Visa requirements: Adamo is willing to sponsor anyone interested in moving to Australia.

Also if any of the Hong Kong based members could help with suggestions on where one could advertise for bespoke tailoring jobs there, it would be most appreciated.

I sincerely apologise to Alden and Costi for using this as forum to advertise for jobs. But please understand that I really don't want to be forced to find a new tailor!!!! It is also taking twice as long to get through commissions as before. I am just praying that someone out there might want to move from London, Naples, Sicily, Eastern Europe or Hong Kong to Australia.
Last edited by Sator on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costi

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Sator, it's all for a good cause if it can help a tailor stay in business, anywhere in the world. I hope it does help!
schanop

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm

That's very sad to hear. Adamo is a very nice person. I wish I could help some how and I would not like to see him closing down his business either.

Chanop
David the Tailor

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:04 am

Oh I would do it in a second! I love Sydney, spent my 30th b-day there in may....so lovely. My partner is even an Ozie, born in Sydney with a house in Redfern, He is currently posted to Vancouer for work, we have no chane to get "home" any time soon. This makes me sad....
Sator

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Yes, David, I am sure you would love Leichardt, which is fairly close to Redfern (as your partner will confirm). Anyway, thanks for at least taking a look at this thread.
  • Information