Death Knell for harris Tweed?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Leitz Noctilux

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Good Evening All;

Did anyone hear the piece on Radio 4's PM programme about the closure of Harris Tweed production on Stornaway this evening?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/hig ... 443442.stm

Thank goodness that I have already chosen the cloth for my jacket & should have my first fitting at Norton & Sons in a week or so.

Be well
LN
WF

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Just raced upstairs to post this here as well :D
Perhaps this sounds like a stupid question but why would a factory produce so many jackets if they didnt have advance orders?

Wendy
couch

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:50 pm

This is the same Brian Haggas who, in the BBC documentary on Savile Row, was described as seeking to reduce to five the number of colors the weavers could produce in order to "rationalize production." It was in the segment on Norton and Son, by coincidence, showing the young guv'nor driving up to order more cloth for an American customer. Or was it coincidence, LN?

Given the strength of the Harris Tweed brand, one wonders about Haggas's management skills in cultivating an artisanal product, and his motives. It may be that demand is hopelessly soft, but this related article from May 2 suggests otherwise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 380670.stm

Hoping for the best,
Couch
Leitz Noctilux

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:59 pm

"It was in the segment on Norton and Son, by coincidence, showing the young guv'nor driving up to order more cloth for an American customer. Or was it coincidence, LN?

As I am not an American (neither do I play one on Television), so it was not on my behalf that Mr Grant was hastening northward.

Be well
LN
RWS

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:16 pm

From the article cited by LN:

"Meanwhile, two smaller mills on Lewis which have been revived are not yet in a position to keep 130 home-based weavers in work."

Might another Lounger know which those are? Or how to reach them?

Thanks!
pvpatty

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:08 am

I find it interesting to note the associated headlines that have come up on the side of that article on the BBC site:

-Tweed mill to increase workforce
02 May 08 | Highlands and Islands
-Job cuts at Harris Tweed company
30 Apr 08 | Highlands and Islands
-Mill boss in tweed campaign call
13 Jul 07 | Highlands and Islands
-German Harris Tweed order back on
12 Jul 07 | Highlands and Islands
-Tweed order from Germany refused
06 Jul 07 | Highlands and Islands

Increasing workforce, job cuts, German tweed on, German tweed off. All very confusing.
storeynicholas

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:48 am

As well as the death of the planet, we have to cope with this too..
NJS.
storeynicholas

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:49 am

As well as the death of the planet, we have to cope with this too..
NJS.
Frog in Suit

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:27 am

storeynicholas wrote:As well as the death of the planet, we have to cope with this too..
NJS.
But isn't tweed more crucial? No, wait....? :oops:

Frog in Suit
alden

Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 am

But isn't tweed more crucial? No, wait....
At last look, there are an infinity's worth of planets out there, but good tweed sources are vanishing....support your clothclub!

Michael
storeynicholas

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:13 pm

If, eventually, we have to opt for another planet on which to manufacture Harris tweed, we will need to be sure that the environment will allow the ready growth of the necessary lichens. I saw a film last night called The Day After Tomorrow which some would probably dismiss as sensationalist nonsense but it gives a terrifying portrayal of what the melting of the ice caps will, one day, lead to........
couch

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:05 pm

alden wrote:
But isn't tweed more crucial? No, wait....
At last look, there are an infinity's worth of planets out there, but good tweed sources are vanishing....support your clothclub!

Michael
Doing my best in the circumstances. I love tweeds, and this year was an unusually long wearing season in the mid-Atlantic region with a cool wet spring. But all of a sudden we're having record-setting 99F temperatures with matching humidity and I'm tempted to have my Brisa made up before my green Lovat tweed (irrational, given the fitting schedule). And frankly, with air-conditioning overtaxed in many of my living/working spaces, wearing more polo shirts. London high temperatures in the high 60sF this weekend are looking very attractive.

Still, while we're taking the cosmic view, I can't help wondering whether there's an opportunity for some wonderful new artisanal cloths and cuts that would reflect an elegance specifically responding to new climatic realities. After all, all those high-necked, heavily lined doublets and coats, ruffed collars, and so on reflected the needs of the last mid-millenial "little ice age."

Not suggesting we at the LL abandon our inspirations and sources. Simply wondering whether there's a growth field in durable, eco-friendly, non-nylon materials and designs that can function realistically in 36C temperatures without requiring that air conditioning reduce them all the way down to 22C or less.
Bishop of Briggs

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 am

It would be useful to know where one can buy top quality and unusual Harris tweed cloth. Perhaps Mr Alden may wish to commission a LL limited edition whilst he can.
Sir Henry

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:50 am

Try getting Harris Tweed in my country these days. None of the shops supply it anymore because they say it's too old hat. Even a google search doesn't bring up any Tweed coats.
Last edited by Sir Henry on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Henry

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 am

Bishop of Briggs wrote:It would be useful to know where one can buy top quality and unusual Harris tweed cloth. Perhaps Mr Alden may wish to commission a LL limited edition whilst he can.
Sounds like a great idea.
  • Information