Wallets

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

pvpatty

Fri May 16, 2008 8:30 am

My wallet of 5 or so years somewhat inconveniently decided to burst about a week ago (I should probably not have overloaded it with coins). This being the case, I need a new one. I don't think I will opt for one with a coin pouch this time as I tend to fill them up and create a massive bulge in my trousers. Can anyone recommend any sources?

I did notice this afternoon that Albert Thurston has these for $79.95USD:

Scot

Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 am

Dunhill have a very good selection and you can buy them online.
HappyStroller

Fri May 16, 2008 12:02 pm

Some of those found at the usual travelling luggage corners in department stores come with an attached ring and chain complete with a catch-lock, or whatever it's called, which you can attach to your trouser belt loop so that your wallet won't fall off while sitting in a cab or will stay with you during pickpocketing attempts..
Manself

Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 pm

I was given a very nice one from Hamilton & Inches, a jeweller in Edinburgh and London. Cleverley the shoemaker in Mayfair sells wonderful wallets made from very old deer hide that was salvaged from a boat sunk in Portsmouth harbour about 200 years ago. If you don't know the story it's worth looking into.
chewy

Sat May 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Just a thought. If you're worried about a bulge in your trousers, here's what I've done most my life.

No wallet at all. Cards (credit, license, metro, few business, etc.) all go loose in my front right pocket. They stay together. Cash goes folded once loose in my rear right pocket. Keys (only the ones I need and never on a key chain) also loose go in my left front pocket.

No bulge, everything's handy and accessible, and I never loose everything all at once.

It's been a great system for me and results in a very streamlined appearance of my trousers.

And no need for a left rear pocket. So I don't get one.
DFR

Sun May 18, 2008 10:39 am

I would disagree with no wallet.

You are right to get one without a coin pouch - a thin wallet such as you illustrate in right or left back pocket at your choice, coins in a front pocket and handkerchief in the other back pocket works extremely well and does not destroy the line of the trousers,
BirdofSydney

Sun May 18, 2008 11:45 am

Ettinger in tan are quite handsome, and Hardy Brothers in Albert Street sell them (though probably at an exorbitant price).

I'm rather fond of the multi-fold model that Hermes makes (called the Guernsey, or something equally incongruous, as I recall), but again, exorbitant...
pvpatty

Sun May 18, 2008 12:51 pm

BirdofSydney wrote:Ettinger in tan are quite handsome, and Hardy Brothers in Albert Street sell them (though probably at an exorbitant price).

I'm rather fond of the multi-fold model that Hermes makes (called the Guernsey, or something equally incongruous, as I recall), but again, exorbitant...
I fear that those two options (although an Ettinger seems particularly enticing) are likely to leave me in a position where I have no money left to fill my wallet with.
pvpatty

Tue May 20, 2008 6:47 am

Today I have discovered this one, and it looks to be the pick. I have emailed J. L. Powell to see how much shipping will be to Australia.

http://jlpowellusa.com/product/38_41-Ac ... allet.html
pvpatty

Thu May 22, 2008 1:00 am

JL Powell regrets that this item is no longer available for shipment.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Back to the drawing board....
bengal-stripe

Thu May 22, 2008 10:46 pm

Design your own wallet and have A.B.P (Atelier Bracelet Parisien) make it up.

http://www.abp-paris.com/
http://www.abp-paris.com/watchbands_cre ... d=7&&cid=3
MTM

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:55 pm

My vote goes to a small coin purse w/ continually edited contents.

I had a little one made to my specifications: Just a bit larger than a credit card. One pocket w/ zipper. Suede to prevent it from sliding out of my pocket.

Inside I keep 4-5 cards, a few bills, a few coins, and two keys joined by a small 1cm ring. Sometimes a receipt or a large group of coins or bills makes it in there, but they don't last long.
Mark P

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Try Mulberry UK
Manself

Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm always put off by the application of Mulberry's logo on all its products. I find branded goods (whether clothes or accessories or luggage) look rather cheap.
RWS

Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 pm

Manself wrote:. . . . branded goods . . . look . . . cheap.
Hear, hear.
  • Information