Lear Browne & Dunsford and Harrisons of Edinburgh

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

cdw30

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Dear All,

I am currently thinking of having suits made in some of LBD's Oyster cloths (13oz worsted) and perhaps also an overcoat in one of Harrisons' wool and camelhair blends. Have any of you had experience of any of the aforementioned? They certainly look wonderful as patterns and obviously enjoy a good reputation, but I would be interested to learn of how they actually make up.

Thanks.
Concordia

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:12 pm

I have a blazer in either the 13 or 14oz Oyster.

If you think you will like a suit from that book, you probably will. It's very decent stuff.
The Doctor

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:49 pm

The oyster is a 13oz & makes up well.
the tailor

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:43 am

After using the Oyster bunch for many years without trouble or concern, I pulled and stopped using the Oyster bunch some time ago.

The last suit I made from it was for my brother and the cloth, to my hand, was finished far too hard. It tailored so so, but the creasing was an issue at press off and wearing.

I still use many other bunches from the merchant, but not the Oyster anymore.

www.desmerrionbespoketailor.com
alden

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:05 pm

The last suit I made from it was for my brother and the cloth, to my hand, was finished far too hard. It tailored so so, but the creasing was an issue at press off and wearing.
That's interesting to hear, I must make some inquiries. Overall I prefer the Botany 13 ozs book from Smiths but the Oyster was always pretty good: a bit harder than the Botany.

LBD is an excellent source of cloth, you cannot go far astray using them. Most tailors like to deal with them and use the cloth. If you use Smiths and LBD together, you will have just about anything your sartorial heart desires once you have added Scabals velvets for your smoking jacket.

M Alden
  • Information