Lightweight suit - Florence, London or Paris?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

newtom

Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:55 pm

I'll be in Paris for a working trade-show in June, the hottest and most uncomfortable time to be there! In true British style, we will be required to wear dark suits with the awful British black shoes - no continental style allowed for us with the antiqued brown shoes I prefer!

I'm very keen to get hold of a couple of reasonably priced, lightweight navy wool suits.

I will, however, be spending some time in Florence and London before then. Do you have any recommendations for either city, where I can find a reasonably priced suit? Doesn't have to be spectacularly well tailored or expensive as I'll wear them only rarely.
HappyStroller

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:40 pm

I believe Mark & Spencer stores offer very reasonably priced navy suits.
storeynicholas

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 pm

As they say here: Opa!!!
tintin

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Last summer I saw some very nice navy chalk stripes but in linen. Side vents. SB. I'm pretty sure they were at Harvie and Hudson on Jermyn St. but those shop windows blend together after a while. If that's too edgy, try Brooks Brothers in London. They may even have something semi lined.
Sator

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:56 am

newtom wrote: In true British style, we will be required to wear dark suits with the awful British black shoes - no continental style allowed for us with the antiqued brown shoes I prefer!
Thank goodness for that!
newtom wrote:
I will, however, be spending some time in Florence and London before then. Do you have any recommendations for either city, where I can find a reasonably priced suit? Doesn't have to be spectacularly well tailored or expensive as I'll wear them only rarely.
I would suggest looking in Florence. There are posts in the archive about Florentine tailors. But the Italians make a better half or quarter lined coat. I would suggest picking a fresco weave for its superior drape and breathability.
  • Information