Where to stay in Rome?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
culverwood

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:54 am

Can anyone suggest a good central hotel in Rome. Quiet and not too big.
tteplitzmd

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Avoid the Hassler. Hotel de Russie, Eden, Lord Byron, Aldrovandi are good options. Some arer small, quiet, but without the pretense and cramped space of the Hassler. Also without the attitude of the Hassler management (Swiss warmth, Italian efficiency).
jlong

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:36 pm

I second the recommendation for the Eden - it's quiet, comfortable and well-located. It also has a lovely rooftop bar that is a great place to have an aperitivo and watch the sunset.
olkayc

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:50 am

Gents, whenever I stay in Rome I prefer an apartment. If your stay is purely for pleasure then I would suggest staying in the Trastevere area of the city. It's a lovely area with hidden alley ways and cafes and some decent places to eat. Try this site, I have always found them very good:

http://www.rentalinrome.com/trastevereapartments.htm
whittaker

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:14 pm

My recommendation would also be for the Eden, where I stayed last year on the advice of the Lounge. The bar is wonderful at night.
Elton

Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 pm

The Eden is lovely, great restaurant with fantastic views. However I do have to say that, and not wishing to cause offence, there was an abundance of American gentlemen who though it acceptable to wear Denim and sneakers, and these were men of age 30>. However I'd say to Russie is the way forward.
whyescalar

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Grand Hotel Parco Dei Principi.

It is located right by the Villa Borghese, in a very quiet neighborhood with lots of embassies. You can have a nice, leisurely walk through the park to all the "tourist" sites.
iammatt

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:21 pm

tteplitzmd wrote:Avoid the Hassler. Hotel de Russie, Eden, Lord Byron, Aldrovandi are good options. Some arer small, quiet, but without the pretense and cramped space of the Hassler. Also without the attitude of the Hassler management (Swiss warmth, Italian efficiency).
Agreed. We used to stay at the Eden, but tried the Lord Byron this summer. As much as we like the Eden, we will not be going back. The Lord Byron was fantastic.
DD MacDonald

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:31 pm

For a change, what about Roman restaurants?

I was there with my family a couple of years ago and there were four notable places, all a bit different:

1. Gusto - modern Roman pizza/bistro. Easy, hip and fun.

2. Al Moro by Trevi Fountain, old school good.

3. Piperno in the Ghetto. I read a '50s era book on food in Italy that included a review and don't think that the place has changed much. Some dinner in the Jewish Ghetto is a must in Rome.

4. Agate e Romeo - I missed this Michelin starred restaurant, but the girls had a great lunch and were well taken care of.

We stayed at the Inn at the Spanich Steps which was bustle-y being right below the steps. The concierge was great and it was easy to navigate to any point in the city.

DDM
whyescalar

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Santopadre, Via Collina 18
tteplitzmd

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Any knowledge of this hotel: Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, Via Ulisse Aldrovandi, 15 00197 Rome, Italy?
Upscale neighborhood, near Hotel Lord Byron.
geraldtancw

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:21 pm

I would suggest St Regis Grand Rome, it used to be known as The Grand, and is the hotel filmed in The Talented Mr Ripley. Slightly off the way. Opulent but still very charming. Book an imperial room and ask for an upgrade to the junior suite. You will feel very special.
tteplitzmd

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:51 pm

I stayed there years ago. Very nice. I recently stayed at Aldrovandi Palace: lovely upscale residential area, but not so great facilities. Rooms are quite nice.
  • Information