A bit of the best

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Agni

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:08 pm

The best small dog is clearly the dachshund.
Costi

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:17 pm

I actually concur with Mr. Alden on the innitial awardee, the Jack Russel Terrier. My brother has a couple and they are absolutely adorable: clever, funny, loving, playful - both the male and the female have quite agreeable personalities.
iammatt

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:28 pm

There is no need to look any further than a Pug for the finest small dog. They are a Labrador in a small package.
Marabunta

Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 pm

Best French designer (Yves Saint Laurent)
No arguments, there.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:34 am

I am sorry Marabunta, thr best screen kiss is in Les Amants with Jeanne Moreau

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052556/

PS: and I stand by my MB Terrier nomination for best small dog!
Marabunta

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:46 am

'01, that's a great movie!
Then, again: Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr:
From Here to Eternity.
Gruto

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Best alpine ski resort: Val d'isere
Best place for cross country skiing: Jotunheimen (Norway)
storeynicholas

Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Still finding a voice here, and recognizing Alden as primus inter pares, might I summon up the courage to debate - and suggest, for consideration, that the following alternative possibilities are in contention, in relation to certain listed items? -

The very best champagne - Veuve Clicquot 1945, 1959 or 1964 for a very, very special occasion but for lesser celebrations - Louis Roederer Cristal 1982; It would take a big occasion, a big wallet and a big toast to go for the VCP 1945 - but a bigger silence;

The best knitted silk ties - maybe New & Lingwood are in there too;

Best English bespoke shoes - not detracting from G&G - but also Foster/Henry Maxwell (with terry Moore, the true inheritors of the Peal tradition - "You're the top..... you're the nimble tread of the feet of Fred Astaire.."); Cleverley and also (not often mentioned) Tricker's;

Best big dog - British Bulldog (one of the most intelligent dogs) and the Borzoi (one of the fastest hunting dogs. For both strength and elegance, beyond equal);

Best small dog - original King Charles Spaniel - just as loyal and playful as the Jack Russell and also, for all the fluff, amazingly fearless under attack from bigger dogs (well, Duncan - RIP - was);

Best pipe tobacco - difficult this as it depends on mood and climate and time of day and company - but Dunhill Royal Yacht Mixture (for sporting days) and Radford's Wild Honey and Wild Cavendish (for contemplative moments) contend;

Best bespoke ties - Emma Willis is waving the flag;

Best umbrellas - James Smith are now producing whole-wood (one piece handle and shaft) hardwood umbrellas: including snakewood; rosewood, ebony and violet wood;

Best sticks - for new, Smith's - but for great antiques - as you don't get new malacca in the thickness and clouded colours as once available - David German in Ken. High St;

Best French cheese - Unadventurous, perhaps, I prefer Rocquefort;

Best cheese (French or English) - with shallot pickles, Cornish Yarg; toasted, as Welsh rarebit with Worcester sauce - Red Leicester; after dinner - Blue Stilton and water biscuits - all English;

Best wine for a bad day - Yes, champagne but not the white fizz but still, red, deeply consoling Bouzy Rouge: "I often wonder what the vintners buy,/ One half so precious as the goods they sell";

Shoe toe shape - it depends on the foot but Foster's have some spectacular specimens of the square toe;

Best flower with evening clothes - despite the Duke and his carnations, I back the just opened scented gardenia for either black or white tie, and, although Camellias lack the scent, a Cornishman is bound to say that white Christmas Camellias in Cornwall are beyond compare for appearance;

Best evening cufflink colour - white gold, platinum or mother-of-pearl;

Best watch - yes, PP is one but Breguet must be fighting here - Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, Napoleon (maybe he had theirs), the Iron Duke and WSC all had Breguet watches and, to my eye, comparing a top PP with a top Breguet is like comparing a 1930s Jaguar motor car with a 1931 8 litre Bentley;

Best man's man - I need to bring some Brits in here and they don't have to be actors, do they? - Nelson, Wellington, Palmerston; WSC and FE Smith. Even though Gary Cooper was 100% British by descent and by partial education - from film - Clive Brook - (Shanghai Express), C Aubrey Smith, Ronald Colman and David Niven and you have notably left out Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart - and Kate - below - would be most concerned!;

Best man's lady - Rita Hayworth certainly one - but also Hedy Lamarr and, whether strictly a lady in your definition, Ava Gardner; however, if we actually want someone alive, Helena Bonham Carter;

Best thinking man's crumpet (well that's what Brits say - sorry - and the ladies reverse the process) - has to be Hedy Lamarr, as (with the composer George Antheil), she gave the world technology in frequency-hopping spread spectrum systems, designed for military purposes (although patented not undestood by others for 20 odd years), which are still used in mobile 'phone technology; I suppose that Katharine Hepburn would raise her voice to be admitted to the list - and who could disallow her protest? Incidentally, Hedy Lamarr's son is involved in making a film of her life and they are desperate to find an actress who could come close - any ideas? Again, if we want someone alive, still Helena Bonham Carter - once, when a need arose, she translated ancient Greek poetry on set;

Best opera against urban noise - also Wagner and Mozart; for example, problem with someone playing rap in their car in the street? - give them a blast of the Flying Dutchman overture - but what would you play it on?;

Best all round hat - maybe a grey felt Borsalino - as it could go to town and country and in between and, at a pinch, night and day;

Best wine with oysters - Green's house champagne mixed with Guinness - black velvet;

Best pet - an African Grey parrot - proven to understand human speech enough to perform little tasks with wooden puzzles and to make independent choices;

Best French poet - all I can say is that I like Baudelaire;

Best French (prose) writer - again I like Maupassant;

Any other Bests for: Port; Cognac, Armagnac; hair brushes; bespoke slippers; snuff and........ yes........... cigarettes?
NJS.
storeynicholas

Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Marabunta wrote:Best onscreen kiss: Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh
Gone With the Wind
Yes, the first Butler/O'Hara screen kiss in GWTW probably gets my first vote; although the overall effect is diminished by the fact that Vivien Leigh complained that Gable's breath wasn't as sweet as it might have been. But there is more frisson between James Bond (Connery) and Pussy Galore (Honor Blackman) in Goldfinger and more intensity between Macaulay Connor (James Stewart) and Tracy Lord (Katharine Hepburn) in the Philadelphia Story - the 'hearth fires and holocausts' scene.
NJS
RWS

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm too ignorant, too forgetful, and too catholic in my tastes to add to storeynicholas's list. But I will second nominations of Stilton (not double cream!) and the African Grey.

Well, perhaps two additions to the list: best ancient language, classical Greek, unbearably mellifluous, expressive, lovely; best modern, English, not because of its huge vocabulary or vibrant, supple, subtle grammar and syntax, but because -- it's the language of the Lounge!
storeynicholas

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:30 pm

I knew that you would be coming up fast on the inside. Ignorant and forgetful, you most certainly are not - and the catholic tastes will enable you to bring down many of my suggestions with others. Go on!!
NJS
alden

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:44 pm

My dear Nicolas

Once you have been on a date with La Grande Dame its love at first sip…and ’45 and ’59 are exceptional vintages. But we need to talk about the best that can be acquired (for medicinal purposes only of course) on the market today. It was a Billecart-Salmon ’59 that won the best champagne of the last century award a few years ago at the International tasting in Sweden.

Since we are on subjects of urgent national interest, what is your view on whisky?

Royal Yacht is a heavy Virginia blend. Of the Dunhill smokes I would choose Navy Rolls, Light Virginia or Aperitif.

Not at all convinced by the silk ties from New & Lingwood.

Bespoke shoemakers, you have some good arguments there..

King Charles Spaniels, favorites of love him or envy him William F. Buckley, is a great dog

Hedy Lamarr, I do agree and I’ll raise you a Gene Tierney.

Kate H? Much too macho to be one of our ladies. She was androgynous well ahead of her time.

If you like Bouzy Rouge, you will love Bolly’s Cote aux Enfants

Best pharmacy to buy Single Malts in London?

Cheers
storeynicholas

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:50 pm

My Dear Michael,
I'll have to come back to you tomorrow as we are having the neighbours for dinner .... and I have to find that nice Chianti.
best,
Nicholas.
yialabis

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Very informative and precious indeed Mr Alden and all , although best olive oil in my humble opinion is by far the Cretan, but then again best value a gentleman can design his life upon is the ability to know what is best for him ..!

Kind regards
Vasilis
alden

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:54 pm

I find pit roasting neighbors to be the most effective and if you insist on doing so in Tuscany, Chianti is a good choice.
  • Information