Haute Horlogerie watch makers

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Leitz Noctilux

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:59 pm

pchong wrote:Dear Happy,

If you want Piaget, I am sorry you are on your own. They do nor make any watch which I consider of merit.

On the contrary, I find the watch below to be both technically interesting as well as quite slim.
http://www.timezone.com/library/news/n ... 0507968750
HappyStroller

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Sir, I seem to have a problem accessing the webpage provided by the link.

Right now I'm in Nanjing (a.k.a., Nanking), without my dress watches and macro lense. Will post some pics early next year. Cheers.
oscarsfan

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:30 pm

HappyStroller wrote:Sir, I seem to have a problem accessing the webpage provided by the link.

Right now I'm in Nanjing (a.k.a., Nanking), without my dress watches and macro lense. Will post some pics early next year. Cheers.
There is an error in that link.

http://www.timezone.com/library/news/ne ... 0507968750

Should work

-oscarsfan
HappyStroller

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 pm

Thank you, Oscarfan, for the correct link.

Interesting to learn that the Piaget 600P movement is the world’s thinnest tourbillon with the thinnest movement of only 3.5 mm. However, the thickness of the watch case is more relevant when it comes to the suitability of a thin dress watch.

Also, Tourbilllons still don't get my attention because they lack the simpler look that a decent thin dress watch should have.
RWS

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:57 pm

HappyStroller wrote:. . . . Tourbilllons still don't get my attention because they lack the simpler look that a decent thin dress watch should have.
I'll agree with that.

However, on most formal occasions, at least if they are social ones (I may exclude public balls and certainly coronations and presidential inaugurations!), a gentleman really should try to avoid wearing a watch. As we discussed in the Lounge a few years ago, wearing a watch clearly implies an interest in knowing what the time is, which in itself connotes impatience with the course of the evening (or morning or afternoon) that one's host has so carefully planned and is so hopefully conducting: a disregard, then, for the feelings of the host and of one's fellow guests.

But a wrist- or pocket-watch for such public balls and gubernatorial inaugurations might be another matter, and such a watch should indeed be simple. A now long-dead great-uncle, the picture of Brahmin aristocracy, once faulted me (with a grace rooted in the nineteenth century) for wearing a "busy" watch: the PP on my wrist had a second hand, in addition to telling the hour and minute!
dopey

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:36 pm

RWS wrote: . . . But a wrist- or pocket-watch for such public balls and gubernatorial inaugurations might be another matter, and such a watch should indeed be simple. A now long-dead great-uncle, the picture of Brahmin aristocracy, once faulted me (with a grace rooted in the nineteenth century) for wearing a "busy" watch: the PP on my wrist had a second hand, in addition to telling the hour and minute!
:) You know, of course, that he was correct. A dress watch shouldn't have a seconds hand. Of course, then you can't tell at a glance if it is running.
This is my ideal watch. I almost bought it about six years ago when I thought I needed something like this, Then I realized I didn't. It remains however, my idea of perfection in a watch:
RWS

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Ah, Dopey, you and I agree on much more than clothes! That's a beautiful, beautiful watch. How could you not need it?
HappyStroller

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:26 pm

Good to be back in Shanghai.

Thank you, Dopey ad RWS, for giving me a better idea of what a suitable dress watch should look like and when a watch should be worn.

I shall endeavour to observe my hosts and fellow guests the next time I have occassion to be invited to a private gathering. In my social circles, other folks will definitely be seen wearing watches at public and social functions, including marriages. Somtimes, there are even formal invitation cards which claim that a certain national leader or minister of the country will be attending; such cards might state that guests should be seated by such and such a time before that V.I.P. arrives!
oscarsfan

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:33 am

Hello,

I was wondering what are your opinions about URWERK watches?

I like this one a lot:
from this site: http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/membe ... /part3.htm

I like the rotating cubes on this one.

More images here
http://images.google.com/images?q=urwer ... a=N&tab=wi

Thanks
  • Information