A beginner to bespoke

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

AdrianB

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:35 am

What advice does the esteemed London Lounge offer this 27 year old just beginning his bespoke journey?

I've studied Flusser's books, been delighted with "The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style" and poured over this forum in preparation.

My reason for going bespoke was the impossibility to find business appropriate suits that fit. Fashion forward designer suits occasionally fitted 'acceptably' but did not appeal to my senses. Now it's ignited a satorial passion which must be keep in check.

I have been working with a highly regarded local tailor (Adriano Carbone, Melbourne) on several suits appropriate for business. The process of working with Adriano has been a pleasure. The workmanship and silhouette of the suits completed to date are in my opinion excellent but I would appreciate comments and suggestions from other members. Photos will be provided as soon as I am able.

Additionally for weekends and occasions when a suit is not required I am seeking odd jackets and trousers. In a warm clime is there still a place for tweed in a winter odd jacket and grey flannel trousers? Would a linen-blend be the most appropriate fabric for a spring/summer odd jacket? Considering the weather is often 100oF (40oC+) in summer, perhaps no jacket at all is acceptable? Perhaps a jacket intended for warmer autumn and spring days?

- Adrian.
RWS

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Best of luck in building a satisfying wardrobe! Do bear in mind that, if your experience will track mine and others', you may need substantial alterations to your present commissions in a decade or so.

As for coats in summertime: I wear them, even if temperatures surpass 40º C. and humidity, 70%: there are some very lightweight tweeds (or tweed-appearing cloths) on the market, and the coats needn't be unbearable. I have, however, occasionally foregone wearing a necktie when heat, humidity, and informality combine to make that reasonable for me.

RWS
DFR

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:52 am

Adrian

It would be helpful to see some photographs. When you do them can you get front and rear views without the coat as well - helps to se how the trousers fit.

Photogpahs of the jacket inside as well to comment and share thoughts on detailing as well.
  • Information