Leather Gloves

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Dorian271

Mon May 08, 2006 4:38 pm

A quick update for all which are interested. Received today my gloves which I've oredered by Chester Jefferies. Mens Cape, 1 Button, handsewn, Chukka brown, Cashmere lined.
Excellent quality, fits perfectly. Was waiting a longtime for the gloves, but it was worth.
Highly recommend Chester Jefferies. Excellent quality for the money.
rjman

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:38 pm

Necropost:

I finally found a source for kid gloves other than Hermes and the slight disappointment of Sermoneta -- MTO from Aubercy, who uses Mary Beyer. Liste Rouge also uses a different supplier, but the price is even higher, the kid doesn't feel quite as soft and the service is Liste Rouge's standard spurious.

Aubercy had a veritable rainbow of colors of kid (Liste Rouge had about three colors and no swatches of any of them). I chose "British [tan]". They can also do exotics like alligator, although I don't know why anyone would want alligator gloves. Silk was the only lining choice, although that's fine. Fit is good, and the leather quality is wonderful -- it felt much better than Sermoneta and the handsewing is much finer. Sermoneta was much cheaper, but Aubercy is still a lot cheaper than going to Hermes.

The softness of this leather also demonstrates how kid really can differ from most leathers which are supposed to resemble it. Chester Jefferies' capeskin is nice but feels gummy by comparison to the silkiness of this leather. The gloves have the quirks, or "fourchettes", sewn in between the fingers for added range of movement. As with Aubercy's bespoke shoe program, there is a discreet embroidered "A" on the item. I suppose it stands for rjmAn... :twisted:

Last edited by rjman on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RWS

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:49 am

Very nice, rjman! I suppose that the "A" could be picked out . . . .
edhayes

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:18 am

in nyc, sermoneta on madison and 58 th has excellent gloves, it is right by an express bus stop that I often take and I have bought a lot of gloves there-including some fairly unusual colors. I bought purple gloves and decided I was out of my mind--didn't wear them for a month. When I wore them, I loved them so much that I bougth a car coat from Steven Hitchcock to match them.
rjman

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:58 am

The quality of the leather and the workmanship in my Sermoneta gloves was not what I expected.
Jackson

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:45 pm

Add my name to the list of those disappointed in the construction quality of Sermoneta's gloves. The one and only pair I owned began falling apart after rather minimal use. Plus the leather was unexceptional.

I will say that the finest gloves I've ever seen and owned are from Hermes and their Ganterie de Saint-Junien...and for the prices they charge they certainly should be.

My compliments to RJman. The gloves you posted look fantastic!

For those interested here is a link to the aforementioned Mary Beyer's site (http://www.marybeyer.com/), and subsequently to Lavabre Cadet (http://www.lavabrecadet.com/lavabrecadet.html) located in the historic center of French glovemaking, Millau.
Badden

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but does anyone have an opinion on Madova gloves?
cathach

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 am

I got a pair of their lambskin gloves in 2005 and still have them. At the time I bought them slightly tight as I knew they would stretch over time. Since they've been re-stitched twice, in 2010 and 2012 and are a bit loose. The leather has over time darkened, but they're warm and comfy. I've no reservation in recommending them anyway.
Badden

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks, cathach.
Badden

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Thank you. I ordered a pair from Chester Jefferies and was dissatisfied. I have placed an order with both Madova and Dents, and will report back once the goods are delivered.
  • Information