Vol. I No. III (May 05') AA / Esky series

Read all the excellent articles written by the LL style scholar, Etutee.
countdemoney

Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:56 am

RWS wrote:
countdemoney wrote:. . . . n the U.S. . . . people . . . dress up to attend . . . . prize fights . . . .

I hadn't known that. Semi-formal (strange, that would be!), or just coat-and-tie?

On reflection, it's only for the title fights. Even the broadcasters will wear a DJ for a title fight, but not on other occassions. There are more than enough fans who won't dress up, but in the front will often be seen in a variety of better attire. Usually you get the good crowd shots at the opening of the telecast.

In trying to find a good photo, I ran across this one, which i thought would be funny for the forum::
http://www.hboppv.com/past_events/photo ... ms/4.shtml

Here are two separate photos:
http://www.hboppv.com/past_events/photo ... s/18.shtml

http://www.boxinginlasvegas.com/MaryAnn ... y%2010.jpg

I do remember one heavyweight fight around 2000, where people came out in all manner of evening wear. I was unable to locate a picture.
AnthonyJordan

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:08 pm

Thank you for this excellent and informative discussion; I thought that I could usefully contribute by providing some pictures of a slipped waistcoat I own, which are accessible via the attached link:

http://uk.geocities.com/anthony_hugh_jo ... tcoat.html

Yours,

Anthony.
pchong

Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:21 am

wow, this is very interesting...thanks very much. From your picture, it is clear the slip is only a strip of cloth, buttoned on the v-edge of the vest, and not as I had originally imagined to be like another waistcoat below.

thanks.
AnthonyJordan

Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:30 am

That's quite right, although I cannot swear that this is normative (though I presume it is). Apropos of slips, I am in correspondence with a gentleman who was asking about the correct construction of slips on double-breasted waistcoats; can anyone advise?

Finally, Tutee; you drew our attention to the near-zero break to the trousers on the illustrations you posted; would any of this be attributable, do you think, to the use of the slanting "Guard's Cut"? It seemed to me that there was some suggestion of it in the pictures, although not to any great degree (as compared to one pair of trousers I have where, from memory, the angle of cut must have been about thirty degrees.
Leon

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:31 pm

May I add my congratulations to ETutee on a superlative post.
And thanks to Anthony Jordan for illustrating what a slip is. Despite reading about it, and hearing descriptions from tailors, i could not work it out.

Amies' injuction against the double breasted lapel on the single breasted coat meets most opposition in the morning coat. Only rarely are these cut with notched lapels. Given how the revers is formed i do believe that the notched lapel is the natural form, and yet tailors do not cut this coat this way. Despite discussion i am not still not sure which is more correct.

There is a lot of variability, however, the the Pepper and Salt trousers, in the range of stripes, and even checks in the case of tweedy ones. Boys at Eton who are in Pop, wear houndstoooth checked ones. They also wear tails with the silk braiding, probabaly an Edwardian touch.

The suite of tails, waistcoat and trousers all cut from the same (grey) cloth is a relatively rare sight nowadays. It has been recommmed to avoid the 'hired' look. But, as you say, it is not as versatile as black.

Nowadays, all morning tails seem to be cut with a 1 button fastening. This was not always the case, as illustrated in the wedding party illustration. Button stances do after all change. Maybe they will rise again, as has happened with lounge suits.

Leon
Costi

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:04 pm

deleted
AnthonyJordan

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:09 pm

I couldn't resist resurrecting this thread to post the illustration above, from a June 1936 edition of Esquire. I particularly note the notched-lapel, 2-button morning coat, cloth topped boots[?] and what looks suspiciously like a turndown collar on the best man, along with the page boy's eton collar and the slipped waistcoat and bow tie being worn by the father of the bride. I also find the grey coat with non-matching trousers an interesting touch; I usually associate that shade of coat with matching trousers. The groom appears to be wearing a white d/b waistcoat and shoes with a row of broguing across the toecap. I find this interesting because I had assumed that the former went out after WW1whilst it is the first time I have seen the latter.
Guille

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:44 am

I have a question about the royal enclosure ascot painting: the centre man and other men on the image wear some sort of metallic rectangular object under their boutonniere, what is it? My first impression was that it was miniatures of decorations, but I'm not sure.
couch

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:44 am

I believe that is meant to be the badge granting admission to the Royal Enclosure:

"Open only during Royal Ascot Week, the Royal Enclosure is a private facility open only to members who have been accepted by the Royal Enclosure Office. Badgeholders are allowed exclusive viewing access close to the finishing line, and also great views of the racetrack.

"Applicants must apply to the Royal Enclosure Office with the names of those who require admittance. A sponsorship form must be signed by an attendee who has visited the Royal Enclosure for four separate years.

"Those attendees who have previously been Royal Enclosure badgeholders, will be invited to apply for 2007 badges.

Applications must be sent to:
Royal Enclosure Office
Ascot Racecourse
Ascot
SL5 7JX"

From: http://www.ascot-shortbreaks.co.uk/royal-enclosure.html
Guille

Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:49 am

Couch,

I bleieve you are right, those badges are probably the Royal Enclosure Ascto badges. Thanks a lot for the help.
alden

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Another restoration for your viewing pleasure.
Screaminmarlon

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:53 pm

I remember when I was new here or in the process to enter the LL attracted by these posts: they're marvelous!
  • Information