true one off DJ I am making

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

the tailor

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:14 am

I have almost finished a unique dinner suit for my new business partner Graham.
While I realise it is not to everyones taste, it is a beauty.
This is at the forward stage, the left sleeve was removed to perform a minor alteration to the left front scye.
The silk on the lapels and jacket is only 6.5oz, the whole garment is very light in construction.
This to me is the essence of bespoke, a client, or friend in this case, expresses a thought for individuality.
It is then down to both of us, client and tailor, to create the desired garment.
Right or wrong, we are assesed by others in an instant by our clothing, and this dinner suit is a statement.
Making unique garments like this is what makes bespoke tailoring a pleasure for me.
edhayes

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:46 pm

graham is a hitter
pchong

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:00 am

It looks lovely, but more frock coat than dinner suitt. May I be so bold as to ask...what is the imspiration for such a dinner jacket? I am referring to length of the coat, the ticket pockets in particular. Would this be worn as a suit, with trousers cutt of the same cloth.
yachtie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:29 am

I'm waiting to see how many buttons it has. Looks like an updated frock- very nice IMO.
Tampan

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 am

Woah! It's definitely well-made. Seems impossible to categorize, although you call it a DJ. As a DJ, I presume it has vents to facilitate sitting down?

I like the silk treatment of the sleeve-end, I haven't seen that before.
dopey

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:02 pm

If you cut the coat to the right length (and made the corresponding adjustment to the pocket location) in your imagination, you can see how nicely shaped it is. The lapel shapes are particularly attractive and would be even better elongated on a one button front.

BTW, I have it on good authority that the customer is 6'9".
Graham is on the left. Des Merrion, who is on the right is, I recall, about 6'2".
This DJ will be quite an imposing sight. I am certainly not going to tell him it is strange looking.
the tailor

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:02 pm

pchong wrote:It looks lovely, but more frock coat than dinner suitt. May I be so bold as to ask...what is the imspiration for such a dinner jacket? I am referring to length of the coat, the ticket pockets in particular. Would this be worn as a suit, with trousers cutt of the same cloth.
Pete,
Graham simply wanted something different, and unique, I think we have achieved that!!
As for the inspiration, that is for Graham to say. I simply convert ideas that are described to me into garments.
Yes, it has trousers to match.
Yes, it has a single vent, lined with silk on the back.
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:06 pm

This looks like an evening top coat.
j_nosfarato

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:24 am

I really like the trim you placed around the sleeve cuff! Not something you'll see every day. Little details make a large difference.
cdw30

Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:04 pm

This looks like an absolutely beautiful piece of work. Personally, it's not my thing - I struggle to see past classic 13oz barathea and corded silk facings, but stunning tailoring nonetheless.
BirdofSydney

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:43 am

Forgive my sarcasm, but my eternal response to a ticket pocket on a DJ will be "in case you're taking the train to your black tie function?"
storeynicholas

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:49 pm

I think that antipodeans excel at sarcasm - however - here the ticket might be for a great big red London omnibus (not a proper one, of course, but one of those serpentine jobs which Red Ken Livingstone has introduced to replace the great double-decker Route Masters for the benefit of the 0.02% of ther travelling public who are wheelchair-bound omnibus users). However, where you are it would surely be a return ticket for a shuttle-copter.
  • Information