A breath of sartorial excellence seen tonight

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

cuffthis

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:59 am

Tonight at Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, we had a table of 6 people come in. The 5 gentlemen and one lady absolutely left me stunned with the beauty of their attire.

The lady, in her early to late sixties, had that elegant 1930's look to her and was very tastefully attired in a black velvet dress.

The gentlemen all had that casually elegant look to them. I first noticed the sartorial elegance of them when my wife, Meg, who was the hostess, asked me to help check their coats. The oldest gentleman removed his brown chesterfield top coat with ticket pocket. As I took his coat from him, I quickly noticed the quality of the covert cloth and the functional sleeve button holes. He was wearing an ancient Harris Tweed coat underneath his overcoat as well as a gorgeous tattersal shirt and I could see the slight hint of his ascot sticking out of the open collar.

The second gentleman, who appeared to be almost the same age, was wearing a beautiful DB Blue Blazer with a blue candy stripe spread collar shirt with a stunning macclesfield tie, knotted with a classic Windsor knot.

The third person, who appeared to be the son of the first gentleman, was wearing an obviously bespoke Norfolk jacket and a to-die-for houndstooth vest with beautiful rolled lapels. His tie had a perfect dimple in it along with that classic, raised arch and an impossibly small knot reminiscent of photos of Anthony Drexel Biddle.

The fourth person, the youngest, was wearing a single breasted blue blazer with ticket pocket, side vents and beautiful pick stitching, yellow oxford cloth buttondown and an elegant silk ascot with paisley motif.

The fifth person, of about 35 years of age, was wearing what appeared to be a hand me down Brooks Brothers tweed sport coat from the era when all BB coats were done with the very high 3 button rolled to 2 lapel and the two sleeve buttons spaced apart. He finished his look with a simple linen pocket square in a glen plaid pattern.

As I talked with this table during the course of the meal (as my wife do with all the people who dine with us), I couldn't help but have a big smile.

For those who live in NYC, this may be a common occurance. To me in sleepy little Wilmington, DE, this was a very, very pleasant treat. Elegance still exists, not just on Style Forum.

I wish I had brought my digital camera to work tonight.

We found out later that the oldest gentleman, with the brown Chesterfield overcoat, is a world famous artist who lives locally. Apparantly he has taught his family and friends the sartorial arts as well.

I glady took the 10% pocket square discount off their bill. They chuckled at this as I explained it, but if everyone came in dressed like this, customers could simply look around the dining room to witness elegance. Most nights the only sartorial elegance in the restaurant is found in the men's room, where 30+ Lawrence Fellows illustrations from 1930's Esquire are featured.

Tonight certainly helps to deal with the nights when many of the younger customers are hiply attired in the latest AmJack look, square toed shoes and all.

I wish nights like this occurred more often..................................
zegnamtl

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Sounds like a wonderful and pleasant group.
Every once in a while, someone comes along and restores our faith in humanity!
tel star

Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:27 am

AMJACK .....This is a word unknown to the Brits in this forum. Could you elucidate, please?
Concordia

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:16 am

American Jackass.

One might aspire to this status, but I don't recommend it.
pchong

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:02 am

Thanks telling this encounter...enjoyed it very much.
zjpj

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:07 pm

pchong wrote:Thanks telling this encounter...enjoyed it very much.
me too - lovely story
JamesT1

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:50 pm

I wish people would realise how much their dress affects those around them. As witnessed here, the fact that these people took a little extra care with their clothing made all the difference and gave Cuffthis a seemingly great evening and a great story.

If only the rest of world (outside of the forum) where able to witness the effect of being well dressed, the world might be a happier place (a bit over the top maybe, but this is my opinion).
vonwotan

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:42 pm

A wonderful story indeed. A touch of elegance can really make an evening or an event.
JamesT1

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Welcome to the london lounge, Vonwotan. I am assuming you are the same Vonwotan as the dandyism.net poster?
vonwotan

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:03 am

JamesT - You are correct. I have been lurking here for a while and quite happy to have found these fora. I am one of the "unlucky" ones who must buy mostly bespoke or MTM clothing due to my build.

I thouroughly enjoyed Cuffthis' story. I only wish sotries like this were commoplace not newsworthy.
ccox

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:33 pm

cuffthis wrote:We found out later that the oldest gentleman, with the brown Chesterfield overcoat, is a world famous artist who lives locally.

... Most nights the only sartorial elegance in the restaurant is found in the men's room, where 30+ Lawrence Fellows illustrations from 1930's Esquire are featured.
What a wonderful story. Thanks! If you have the gen'ts name, perheps there are pictures on the internet of he in all his sartorial splendor?

Cuffthis, if I may, where did you find the Fellows illustrations? I'd like to frame a few and hang them in my closet, if I could find files/reproductions large enough. Or are you lucky enough to have scored originals?

Thanks again for the post.

CCox

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:04 pm

Cuffthis:

l really enjoyed reading your story. Did you compliment the gentlemen on their attire?
  • Information