Oxxford.

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

iammatt

Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:
zegnamtl wrote:My experience with Oxxford is quite limited and very recent, Mark S encouraged me to explore the company last fall.

There is no doubt that it is not "just the picture".
The Oxxford button hole on my jacket is beautifully done.
Albeit, as Mark described, double sewn, therefore very different and very present to the touch. Hence my inquiry as to how you define them as ugly.
Different I can certainly accept.

The Borrelli button is beautifully done also, but very different, I have my doubts at times that the Borrelli is hand sewn as the stitching is so perfectly symmetrical.
But that is just a rookie's guess, I would reserve final judgement for those far better equipped than I.

My doubts grew out of a mass production factory visit where rows of machines that stitch buttons and button holes to appear hand done were present, their work quick and remarkable, but clinically symmetrical.
I have heard from a very reliable source that there is a buttonhole machine which does excellent work and has been adopted by some of the Savile Row tailors. This machine makes a buttonhole that looks pretty much handmade.
If this is the case, I have no doubt that the high-end Italians use it.
:roll: :roll: I cannot tell you about Borrelli, though I am not sure that anybody really puts what they do at the "high-end" other than their own salespeople. Having visited some of the other factories in Italy, I can assure you that the buttonholes are hand made.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:36 am

iammatt wrote:
:roll: :roll: I cannot tell you about Borrelli, though I am not sure that anybody really puts what they do at the "high-end" other than their own salespeople. Having visited some of the other factories in Italy, I can assure you that the buttonholes are hand made.
That doesn't surprise me. The buttonholes on many of their (Borrelli) shirts are completely done by hand. Pity more time and care isn't taken to sew the buttons on nicely. :?:

My tailor has a great buttonhole machine for doing his jackets/coats. But he can also do them entirely by hand if the client demands it.
zegnamtl

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 am

Iammatt, having seen them first hand, I agree that Kiton does them by hand.

The machines I saw were from this firm, this is scanned for their catalogue.
They also make button machines, pick stitching machines and the list goes on and on.
There was a machine to sew the lining in the pant leg that took about 4 to 6 seconds per seam! That was its sole task.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:09 am

(Since speaking to my tailor about buttonholes recently, i've now changed my opinion very slightly).

Not many tailors would sew their buttonholes by hand [on a jacket]. My tailor said it would take him 28 hours to do handsewn buttonholes on a three button single breasted suit (+ all working buttonholes on sleeves and lapel). Very very few clients demand buttonholes to be completely handsewn, and l can't imagine many tailors actually doing them.

A good buttonhole is tight with little space between the lips. Oxxford holes have too much space between them to be classed as great.

Kiton suits etc have nice hand sewing [in visible places], but they are far from 100% handsewn garments. My tailor has ripped apart some of my Oxxford jackets and he is far from impressed. He has seen jackets with alot more handwork [in the construction] and better sewn too. Oxxford is only partially handmade. Entirely handsewn suits go for over 25K......hardly any tailors could produce or any clients would demand such a high level of handwork. Most of the handwork is unneccesary but some is needed.

What is the lining of RTW Oxxfords made of? lsn't it polyester? :evil:
zegnamtl

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 pm

I believe your tailor is doing you a great dis service by saying these things as most are false. I have been to both factories you have mentioned.

Perhaps your tailor needs to take some night classes at Oxxford, or Kiton, they do have a tailoring school on the grounds in Naples, if he needs 28 man hours to sew a button hole.

I do not have issue with those who choose a different path, but for your tailor to mis guide you to shore up his own abilities and choices is unjust. Please inform your tailor that there are a grand total of three sewing machines on the floor of Kiton.

I think you will need to take everything his says from this point forward with a large grain of salt.

Oxxford Clothes:

Hand sewing a button hole:

Pick stitching:

Hand sewing the lining:

The hand sewing of a lapel:

Hand sewn coller begins to take shape:

Threaded needles ready for a morning of work:

Lapel Roll,
I think by anyone’s standards,
that is really beautiful roll.

Last edited by zegnamtl on Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:51 pm

if he needs 28 man hours to sew a button hole.
No, not a buttonhole. multiple buttonholes. 3 buttons on the front, 8 working buttonholes (4 per sleeve), and a working buttonhole on the lapel. That is a total of 13 buttonholes that need to be handsewn. 13 multilpied by 2 hours per hole is 26 hours. 28 man hours [for all buttonholes] is definately a reasonable statement.

l'll try and provide you with a detailed response from him. l get the feeling that this master tailor knows what he's talking about. l think this tailor knows the difference between handwork and machinework.

There is certainly alot more to handwork than:
* pick stitching
* hand sewing of the lining
* hand sewing of the lapel (important)
* Hand sewn collar. (important)

Sure these things are done by hand by Oxxford....it still leaves lots of steps that are machine done by Oxxford. Oxxford is a factory, not a master tailors workroom. Not many people would be qualified to carry out the handwork neccessary to make Oxxford a totally handmade garment. Oxxford make far too many suits/coats in the factory for them be made with loads of hand done steps. l think the handwork of Oxxford is blown too much out of proportion....evenstill, it's lots of handwork for a any RTW/MTM suits and many bespoke suits too.

Are all the Oxxford buttonholes really done by hand??? Better check my jackets again. :P
Mark Seitelman

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:33 am

Oxxford's RTW uses Bemberg linings.

Oxxford's buttonholes are done by hand. Period.

It doesn't take Oxxford 28 hours to sew buttonholes. I don't have a precise figure, but Oxxford has an average time for each operatiion, and each operation is carried out by tailors who only do that operation.

Oxxford has the most handwork of any factory made garment. Sure, there are bespoke tailors here and there who do more handwork. There might even be a tailor who not only sews every stitch by hand but who also weaves the cloth.

As to the relative worth of an Oxxford next to another garment, that is for you to decide. I personally think that the Oxxford workmanship is better than most of the bespoke garments that I have seen.

A wise tailor said that the number of stitches doesn't count. What matters is the right stitch in the right place.
Mr JRM

Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:28 am

I wonder how much importance should be placed on the amount that a garment is handsewn?

Is it importance = 10% or importance = 90%? Sure, it make sense where it is vital for "movement" so a garment can improve its shape with time. I would have thought that cloth, material, construction technique, cut and fit is importance = 90% so this is where the attention should be concentrated.

Afterall a stitch is a bit of thread into a bit of cloth - back and forth, back and forth. :lol:
Martin Stall

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:04 am

Quite interesting in fact. It seems that the esteemed members are trying to compare issues of a different nature.

When one tries to establish the absolute importance of a certain type of stitching, or the make of a buttonhole, there is a limit to the applicability of the comparison. For instance, a handsewn seem of say, an armhole or a shoulder, should normally wear and live much better than a machine-made one. But if the stitching is irregular, or too tight, or too loose, or of the wrong type of thread, a well-made machined seem is by far preferrable.

Likewise, a handmade buttonhole is a hallmark of ^handmade^ clothing, not of quality per se. When one is willing to pay for the man-hours (28 is a lot, I have to say) have them handmade. If you're on a budget: who cares? Your suit will be none the worse for machined buttonholes. (Note: I make 'em by hand, cuz me like. But that's a different story.)

Canvass, padding: Having a canvassed coat, if done well, will look better, wear better, stay better over time. But not everyone likes that look, or that feel. There is a reason why people WANT unstructured coats, or shirt-jackets. They also want the ruffled look that goes with it. Trying to compare quality matters based on differences in style and taste doesn't work.

That doesn't mean I can get away with fused collars or machined lapels: At a certain price range, specific elements of quality, such as handmade collars are a must. Compromise that, and people get less than what they pay for (to put it mildly).

Bespoke suits are the best possible example of value for money: You really do get what you pay for. Sometimes you pay a small local tailor for a lot of handwork, sometimes you pay a man with a big name for his name, and get a coat without the handwork.
zegnamtl

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Dear Mr. Stall,

You raise a point that Manton has on several occasions.
What adds tangible value to the suit?

This topic came up with Mike Cohen at Oxxford and Michael Samuelsohn during my visit to the Samuelsohn factory. Both Mr. Cohen and Mr. Samuelsohn spoke of using a sewing machine where it performs the task best and so forth.

I am still very much a rookie with much to learn, but not from lack of desire or thirst.

I have had several discussions on this, the lapels seems to be a point of contention. Many are singing the vertues of a machine stitched for consistency and cleanliness, others preach nothing but hand. How do you stitch your lapels and why, what do you see as the short comings and advantages of either machine or hand.

The machine padded lapels I watched were performed on a $70,000 machine that surely very few small tailors own.
How do most tailoring shops handle lapels?

Your thoughts are most appreciated,

Edit for clarity:

This machine was shot in the Montreal factory of Jack Victor.
There is no such machine at Oxxford!!

Last edited by zegnamtl on Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Stall

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:17 pm

zegnamtl wrote:Dear Mr. Stall,

You raise a point that Manton has on several occasions.
What adds tangible value to the suit?

This topic came up with Mike Cohen at Oxxford and Michael Samuelsohn during my visit to the Samuelsohn factory. Both Mr. Cohen and Mr. Samuelsohn spoke of using a sewing machine where it performs the task best and so forth.

I am still very much a rookie with much to learn, but not from lack of desire or thirst.

I have had several discussions on this, the lapels seems to be a point of contention. Many are singing the vertues of a machine stitched for consistency and cleanliness, others preach nothing but hand. How do you stitch your lapels and why, what do you see as the short comings and advantages of either machine or hand.

The machine padded lapels I watched were performed on a $70,000 machine that surely very few small tailors own.
How do most tailoring shops handle lapels?

Your thoughts are most appreciated,

Thanks for your questions. I'll try to give my opinions as neutrally as I can: mind you, I don't intend to preach, my opinion isn't the law.

It's not easy to establish the value of handwork. As I said before, it depends on quality etc. In my shop, all lapels are handpadded. Because I like it that way. I like to have the feel of the cloth. I will treat different cloths very differently, and this is a matter of experience and personal preference. A very soft, thin cloth will have finer and more numerous stitches. A heavy tweed, or overcoat material would become stiff with that kind of padding. So there I might choose larger, looser stitches. But also the amount of roll that I put in while padding differs. This makes each piece unique. I think that is a factor which is strangely overlooked in general it seems, that really does add value, tangible value: Is something unique or mass-produced.

The pic of the padding machine is great, as are the other pics. That lapel machine looks like one hell of a padder, for sure. But within certain variables, all lapels are treated in the same way, I guess. Not so with handwork. Sure, the disadvantage is that with some cloths, being very very thin, handpadding will leave tiny dots on the back of the lapel. A machine like that can be adjusted to avoid that.

How do most shops do it? I guess most fuse their lapels. Then their must be a bunch of tailors who use a padding machine, though not such a fancy one, obviously. I know tricks for machine padding on a regular blind hemmer (oops, should I be saying that here? Yeah, why not: I DON'T DO IT ANYWAY.) It's not bad, it might in some cases even turn out better than handpadded or than the oxxford machine does it. But one buys a handmade product, and pays the price for GOOD handwork. Therefore one should get that, and naught less. Byt the way, it looks to me like the lapel on that machine also has fusing on it, on the right edge of it. The greyish stuff is what I mean....

In the end, it depends on the way the tailor defines quality as linked to beauty, and how he places value, e.g. price on that. The question for the client is: Do I want this artisan to make it personally, with his own three hands (which, by the way, I don't do with all my suits: I have really very skilled people who make some of my suits) or by his specially selected craftsmen, or do I want this to be made by a truly efficient and perfectionist setup of cutter, machine-worker, factory style?

Would you buy a high-end BMW or a handbuilt sportscar? You can bet the handbuilt one will have flaws, in the body and seats as well as in the engine. But it will have more character, personality. It will be a work of art. (Hm, guess I turned preaching after all-sorry ;-) Guess it's a form of professional deformation-ex monk and all that)

To end this epic, the point of cleanliness is a good one: Handwork is bound to be irregular. I'm not a machine, neither is my tailor, nor is any of the professionals on Savile Row or anywhere else in the world. Some people LIKE the irregularity. Some people LIKE unstructured suits. Some LIKE fluting in the sleeve, where others insist that it's bad tailoring.

So. What is the point? You are, as a customer. You decide what is quality IN YOUR EYES. You decide what you feel most comfortable with. You decide and select which tailor to use, or which MTM house. There is no definition of beauty, no definition of quality. Define either to me, and I can break them down for you. The definition comes exclusively from the taste and choice of the customer.
iammatt

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:36 pm

Martin,

I think that you make good observations... really good ones.

While the AMOUNT of handwork is discussed ad nauseum here and other places, the quality of that work is rarely mentioned. When talking about a factory like Oxxford, it is one thing to say that they do a lot of hand sewing, but the problem, in my point of view, is that the hand sewing that they do is pretty ugly for the most part. They often have extremely visible padding stitches from the backside (really not a problem) and invariably have placed three or four stitches per coat outside of what is covered by the lapel. These look like small pimples and really look bad to me.

On the other hand, some tailors are able to sew in a way in which they get in and out without leaving a trace. This is not to say that every jacket will be the same, far from it, but that every jacket will look like it was imperfectly made by an excellent craftsman. To me that is the art of tailoring and when jackets and pants become a bit more.

Not to be dismissive of Oxxford, but I am not sure of the utility of sewing lapels by hand if you are going to do things as I stated above and if the jacket is not for an individual but for a store. While my preference is for works of art, if pressed I would rather a well cut, well sewn facotry suit utilizing machinery to a more handsewn one that has rather inferior work.
zegnamtl

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply Mr. Stall.

The machine padded picture was shot in Montreal at the Jack Victor factory,
Oxxford Clothes does not own such a machine. Yes, it is a fused piece fabric, the visit to the fusing ovens proved to be very enlightening also, but I will save that until I have digested lapels.

A few people have commented on the pick marks on the back side of an Oxxford lapel in a negative sense, but if the roll is beautifully executed, I can't see the harm. I have only one Oxxford, in a slightly thick brown cashmere and even under a loop, no marks are visible.

Mr. Samuelsohn made a few comments about fluting, how it is so desired on some house's work and sent back to his shop as a defect when they dabbled in the look.
Martin Stall

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:50 pm

You're all very welcome.

As for fluting, I guess it's similar to Tommy Cooper: One has to be really the very best to be so bad. (I'm sorry to those who like fluting, I just had to have a stab at it. I was taught to avoid it in my work, but I learned that there are many ways to sew up a coat, and what is right, what is wrong?)

And regarding perfection: Only God is perfect. At least that's what they say, personally I've never been able to ascertain the validity of that statement. I do know for a fact though, that no mere mortal delivers perfection, but one can alwasy strive for it, now, can't one? 8)
zegnamtl

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Iammatt,

Indeed, this is big part of what set me off on this mission, to establish for myself, what are the important elements to be done by hand, what is good hand work, can I learn to spot it easily and what can be done better by machine.

The lines have proven to be much more blurred than I ever would have guessed but the questions have forced me to learn so much more than I would have otherwise.

iammatt wrote:Martin,

I think that you make good observations... really good ones.

While the AMOUNT of handwork is discussed ad nauseum here and other places, the quality of that work is rarely mentioned. ..........
  • Information