Books on British and Italian style

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

K-tie

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:44 pm

I have enjoyed quite a few excellent style books lately: Alan Flusser's latest, "Cary Grant: A celebration of style", and my favourite: Mr Antongiavanni's "The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style".

After some failures, including with a terrible British tailor whose name shall be forgotten (not based in London), and an excellent experience with Mr Steven Hitchcock (highly recommended!), I am narrowing down the quest for my personal style. However, I am still thorn between the English and Italian styles: the English for their timeliness, the use of braces (which I love), the slim waist, the high vents etc. On the other hand, I love the Italian fabrics, the use of colours, their attention to details, e.g. Gallo hosiery (i.e. not the Armani, D&G soul-less stuff).

Not living in one of the world's satorial hot-spots and being on a limited budget, I find great pleasure in reading books on style. Although I love the books mentioned initially, I find them quite general and somewhat American biased. Now I a looking for somewhat more specific into modern English and Italian style.

I have found a new book, "Mr Classic: Jeremy Hackett" by Jeremy Hackett on Amazon. Does anyone know this book? And can anyone give me any pointers in general to great books on style that are up to date and specific to either British or Italian style?
Solitarias

Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:32 pm

Please consult (part of) my book collection on this topic

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Solitarias

This lists some of the books I own. I'm working on getting a full listing...
gefinzi

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:42 pm

I purchased "Mr. Classic" and regret the outlay. No detailed discussion of style and photos which are large but not terribly interesting from a classic clothing perspective. Very different book from Dressing the Man, for instance. Perhaps worth buying if you can get it as a close-out at 10 or 15 dollars.
K-tie

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:12 am

Thanks gefinzi - saves me some money.
Khnelben

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm

the book by Roetzel "Gentlemen" - it has 2 separate sections on English and Italian styles in tailoring.

Also, Mr. Hackett's articles are available on the Net - on his site (limited number) and through the Independent on Sunday (but no pictures).

Andrey
  • Information