Where should one go in Naples for sartorial pilgrimage

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

le.gentleman

Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:58 pm

Kolecho,

thank you for this interesting report. I must have overlooked it when you wrote some months ago.
Have you been in Naples ever since?

Regards,

Raphael
edhayes

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:35 am

Please go to the Panico site and check out the double breasted raglan coat.
le.gentleman

Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 am

Ed,

it's a beautiful 6 x2 overcoat and I like especially the ligt blue windowpane!
stultus77

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:37 am

I recently had the exact same style of 6 x2 overcoat made by Panico. The material was a black cashmere in a large herringbone pattern. He is truly a craftsman and the coat came out wonderfully. Too bad it is just a bit too flashy to wear to the office...people here in Tokyo generally dress fairly well, but somewhat conservatively.

If one is looking for something off the beaten path, try Satoria Dal Cuore in Naples. Unlike brands such as Kiton and Isaia, which offer a "diluted" version of Napolitan style, he offers something that is typical of what a Napolitan gentleman would actually wear. He cuts a wonderfully ruffled yet elegant double breasted suit. Dal Cuore himself wears such a suit in the picture below. Don't forget to check out the shoes - just so uniquely Italian! :shock:

http://sloane.blog37.fc2.com/blog-entry-87.html#more
Dragon

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:15 am

I like Dal Cuore`s DB suit, but my image of his other stuff is more extreme style. Almost like an Attolini taken to the extreme with super high gorge, etc.
zegnamtl

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:21 pm

I will be back in Naples this summer, and would appreciate some recommendations for hotels. Keeping in mind that I will be traveling with my daughters, we would like to be able to walk to the shopping ares from the hotel if possible.

In past visits we have stayed by the water in tourist central and would like to avoid that this year.

Thank you,
Robert Watkins

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:40 pm

The Grand Hotel Parkers, halfway up the Vomero on Corso Vittorio Emanuele, is a little more traditional and less glitzy than the waterfront places. The view from the rooms and the (good) rooftop restaurant is magnificent, taking in the entire bay. As the crow flies, the hotel is close to the Chiaia and other shopping areas, but it's a steep hike back up the hill. There is a funicular nearby on the Corso.

Robert
uppercase

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:02 am

http://www.palazzoalabardieri.it/

This is the best located hotel in Naples for shopping, right off the Piazza Martiri.

I stayed there and it's very nice; you're in the middle of everything.

5 minutes from Rubinacci, Marinella, Borrelli, etc.

Don't pay rack rate; call ahead and ask for a special price. Or, if you have a tailor in Naples or friend, have them call. The Alabardieri is very flexible with its pricing.

Good luck!
alden

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:23 pm

And do eat your fish at Da Dora...the best in town by a good measure
  • Information