Rome?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
rjman

Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Filangieri, thank you so much! My GF is a very, very adventurous eater so she'd love the fifth quarter, and probably try the sixth and seventh quarters as well out of curiosity.

Another question -- who would you say is the best chocolatier in Rome? I'm hoping to surprise her with a box...
filangieri

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:20 pm

RJman,
I’m afraid I'm not an expert in the specific field, but I believe that in Italy the best quality cioccolato is made in Sicilia and Toscana.
Of course, you can always stay on the safe side visiting the local Godiva outlet, but I hope to provide you with additional options with the following link: http://www.cioccolato.it/Web/cioccolato/aziende2.asp
TimMureau

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 pm

I want go next year to Rome.
I will trie the shirtmaker Sabatini, the tiemaker Ezio Pellicano.

Also I hope to find another tailors, shirtmakers and tieshops...
rjman

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:00 pm

TimMureau wrote:I want go next year to Rome.
I will trie the shirtmaker Sabatini, the tiemaker Ezio Pellicano.

Also I hope to find another tailors, shirtmakers and tieshops...
Perhaps starting a different thread might be a good idea then?
rjman

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:33 pm

Filangieri, I wish to thank you for your spot-on, wonderful recommendations in Rome. We went to Campana our first night and found the food great and the atmosphere unpretentious. I tried to get my girlfriend, the food adventurer, to have "animelle" but she settled for coda. It was good. We also greatly enjoyed ourselves walking around Trastevere, having casual lunches there, and even trying the 32 flavors of Antica Cioccolateria hot chocolate from a local bakery-cafe there. On our last night, we went to the wonderfully atmospheric Hostaria dell'Orso.

I loved Rome and our time their sped by. I did very little shopping there except for handstitched kidskin cashmere-lined gloves at Sermoneta (workmanship not as good as Merola, to say nothing of Hermes, but the price was reasonable and kidskin is rare) and a small Bialetti espresso maker. Our room at the Inghilterra was a bit pokey, but the hotel itself, its service and its food were all magnificent. On a sartorial note, Roberto Serafini (noted in Style and the Man) is going out of business; the shop is so small that whenever I went by the door was locked as they could only admit two or three people at a time. Eddy Monetti next door was moving off Via dei Condotti; the quality was nice although the styles not particularly memorable to me. Red and Blue seemed to be doing well; on the whole, the better-quality shops in Rome all seemed to lean towards style anglais. Lots of Ballantyne cashmere. Battistoni was much bigger than I thought it would be and resembled a RTW outfitter much more than a bespoke shirtmaker. There was an attractively named shirtmaker called Byron on the Piazza di Spagna whose 1950s-style signage was charming; alas, the merchandise appeared forgettable.
filangieri

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:22 am

Rjman,
I'm really glad that you enjoyed your Roman holiday.
  • Information