LL Limited edition "Alden Gunclub"

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

alden

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:53 pm

The Alden Gunclub

Many members have written asking me to find a great sportscoat fabric for theclothclub. I tend to write back saying that looking for sportscoat fabrics with character and panache is one of my favorite hobbies, but that truly great ones are hard to find. Well I found one and I am calling it “The Alden Gunclub”

This gunclub is a Scottish classic and can be found in a few books. What makes this version special is the size of the pattern (larger than normal), the choice of colors (black, tan, greens, orange, crimson, red) and the intensity of the colors (rarely seen.)

The cloth is a 650 grams (19 ounces) weight Highland tweed. Try as I may, the pictures just cannot do the cloth justice! It is splendid.

The perfect application would be a 3 button front sport coat or “hacking jacket” to be worn with gray flannels, whipcords or cords.

If there are some of you who would like to make this cloth with yours truly, let me know at alden@thelondonlounge.net
Last edited by alden on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whittaker

Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:03 pm

Even without a "perfect" picture I can see great potential here for a hacking jacket, 3 button, jetted pockets with some of those nut buttons.

Thank you.
oscarsfan

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Anyone else thinking about a suit from this fabric. It is ideal for plus-fours, a little bold for a trouser suit, but certainly not the kind of suit one would see in every mens store. Wonder how tight the spin in the yarn may be. That is a factor in how baggy the trousers get.

-
alden

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 am

Dear Oscars Fan

The tweed is high twist sporting cloth suitable for trousers. Your grandchldren will enjoy wearing them someday.

Cheers
oscarsfan

Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:05 pm

Dear Mr. Alden,

19 oz fabric and high twist and in beautiful colours, where do I hide and where do I hide this evergrowing stash from the enquring eyes? Is this also a Fox production? Any estimates as to the cost of this fabric?

I had hoped for a temporary hiatus to sartorial pilgrimages. I now realize, that not reading any of these forums may be a pre-requisite for that to happen.

Sincerely,

-
preobrazhensky

Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:59 pm

Hello. I'd possibly also be interested, but I am a little confused... is this another very limited run or is it something already in production? Therefore, is there time pressure involved in taking a decision? I too would like to know a rough idea of cost.

Thanks for this and all the other current endeavours.
alden

Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:54 pm

Hello. I'd possibly also be interested, but I am a little confused... is this another very limited run or is it something already in production?
The cloth is at the design stage. It is not in production. It will go into production when and if enough LL members decide they want it.

For all information contact alden@thelondonlouge.net

Best regards.
dopey

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 pm

I have a very old cheaply made RTW in a gun club check that I should give away (perhaps I already have). I generally find them too loud, but I know enough to put my trust in someone whose judgment has been proven right before. I will take a sportcoat length when it is ready, maybe more.
alden

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:51 pm

There are gunclubs and there are gunclubs. Most are plain dull and others can be identified on Earth from a Mars orbiter. Finding the right one is not that easy. But if you do find one they are a very versatile wear. Why? Look at the color combination in the Alden gunclub. Black, tan, greens work with just about any trouser color: cords, flannels, or cavalry twill. The coat would look especially good with a pair of 32 ozs Bedford cords....

The crimson and orange give the jacket punch. But it is in balance, the colors do not jump out as they are conditioned by a well constructed base. This is a pattern Brora did for generations. It is gone. This cloth is potentially better.

Take a look at the guys getting ready for Fall and you will see a gent wearing a Harris gunclub to his elegant advantage.

If you are doing a hacking jacket kind of coat, the normal choice would be a Russell like this very nice version

It has more limited use than the gunclub.
Last edited by alden on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoothjazzone

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:32 am

Same here

Please count me in

Thanks
dopey wrote: but I know enough to put my trust in someone whose judgment has been proven right before. I will take a sportcoat length when it is ready, maybe more.
alden

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Theclothclub is very Darwinian, only the fit survive the cut. But the “Alden Gunclub” will never have a chance to be cut to see if it will fit. It is the best GC I have seen in decades but it is going to the back burner.

Eleven gentlemen with exquisite taste stepped up to the line but that won’t bring the cloth home. I am going to leave this project on hold to see if, over time, some more incredibly sophisticated dressers decide to join the Alden Gunclub team.

Maybe the group would prefer a very nice Russell instead. So I am going with to propose a LL Russell, please let me know if you are interested in this cloth.

Cheers,

Alden
Will

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:37 pm

I regret the unborn gun club. I already have a jacket in a Russell.
alden

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:44 pm

Will,

There must be unkind visual associations with gunclubs over on your side of the pond. I get that feeling listening to the comments in my emails. We like them over here, in the UK, Italy and France.

Yes, the Alden gunclub's passing is to be regretted. But lets be trooper's about it, get on, stiff uppers and all that...and open a medicinal Magnum of Epernay's best as we try to reconcile ourselves with the loss.

Alden
bry2000

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:03 pm

I am for the gunclub check. I think Porter & Harding already offers an excellent looking 18oz Russell Check. I have not compared your RC with the one offered by P&H, but it seems to be very similar.

Let's give the gunclub check a little more time. How many meters are spoken for vs. how many are needed?

Thanks.
dopey

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 pm

This would be a good opportunity for the tailors on the board to step up and order a few jacket lengths so as to have something unique to offer their non-LL member customers.
  • Information