Tweed

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:48 pm

How many classic tweeds do we have? How can I recognize them?

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:53 pm

There are literally hundreds.

There are two out of print books on Scottish Estate tweeds that may be of interest.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm guessing that you are refering to the patterns of the tweeds?

Might I suggest taking a look in the "featured Articles" section and having a look at Etutee's posts? They should be able to help you out with everything.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:26 pm

Herringbone
Gun club check
Shepherd's check
Barlycorn
Houndstooth
Donegal
Russel plaid
Glen plaid (and its sub-genre POW plaid)

Those are probably the most common patterns. Plus a multitude of windowpanes and overchecks. Stripes, not so much, if at all.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 am

I was thinking of classic tweed patterns. Thank you all.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:55 pm

A little history from the web:

"Author: Fiona Anderson, Curator of Dress and Textiles, National Museums of Scotland

Origins and Development
Tweed is made from wool and wool mixtures and it comes in a phenomenal range of colour and weave effects (Ponting, p78). Originally tweed was only made in the twill weave or variations of that structure. It is debatable whether the name tweed originated from a misreading of an order for tweel (Scottish for twill), or whether the cloth is named after the Tweed river in the Scottish Borders. However, what is certain is that tweed originated in the Scottish woollen industry of the early nineteenth century, where locally crafted woollens were transformed into fashion textiles woven in a factory and sold in national and international markets. This shift in the late 1820s was partly precipitated by the adoption of the black and white Shepherd's check as a fashionable cloth for men's trousers in the late 1820s (Gulvin 1973, pp70-73; Ponting 1987, pp78-81).

Trade journals of the period indicate the reputation of Scotch tweed for high aesthetic appeal and quality of manufacture (Textile Manufacturer 15 January 1878, p2). Interestingly, for a branch of the nineteenth century textile industry renowned for the production of constant novelty and variety in design, the bulk of the cloth was designed for menswear. The success of the Scottish tweed industry was largely driven by the consumption of cloth for sporting and leisure wear. However, by 1900 tweed was also widely worn within a variety of urban contexts, mainly as overcoatings, trouserings and suitings (Gulvin 1973, pp80-81; Ponting 1987, pp84-87). The popularity of tweed as a fashionable menswear cloth continued into the twentieth century, however along with tailoring it went into relative decline from the 1970s onwards."

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:09 pm

I have just discovered the wonderful tweeds in the cloth club section. Can anybody put names on some of the checks?

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:Herringbone
Gun club check
Shepherd's check
Barlycorn
Houndstooth
Donegal
Russel plaid
Glen plaid (and its sub-genre POW plaid)

Those are probably the most common patterns. Plus a multitude of windowpanes and overchecks. Stripes, not so much, if at all.
The patterns that you mention, are they created by the color of yarns or the structure of the weave?
  • Information