VOL. II NO. VI (Oct 06') Out Of Town Clothes AA

A selection of London Lounge articles
Chris Rimby

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:21 pm

Incredible. Really.
JamesT1

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Beautiful work. Thank you; your work is inspiring.

James
Costi

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Yours is an admirable archeological endeavor of digging up the past and exposing the foundations of modern elegance. As in any sphere of study, there can be no innovation of value without good knowledge of the past. Armed with a historical view, one has the necessary basis for making one’s own judgments, as well as for innovating, or defining a personal style. Put into this perspective, your series of articles is not merely informative, but vastly formative.
I can see the titanic work behind each of this chain of treatises, but do know they are invaluable and highly appreciated. On the other side of the World, too! :D
I am thankful for the generosity with which you dedicate your time and energy to sharing with us this cultural treasure and, as nothing but the moral reward of gratefulness can repay it, I shall not spare my words to express it.
Connemara

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:27 pm

Brilliant, as always. Only a true gentleman would take the time to share this resource!

Many thanks,
Michael
Tampan

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:48 am

I have pored over your posts for hours, Etutee, but this the first chance to praise since I arrived in the lounge. These are fantastic reading, a heroic ideal that begs much aspiring. Thank you for your huge efforts!

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:44 pm

This is pure heroism.
whittaker

Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:56 pm

Thank you, Etutee. A veritable treasure trove of fascinating information.

The patterned trousers worn with plain coats is an angle I must explore. The overcoats are also inspirational.
countdemoney

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:55 am

Etutee,

You continue to amaze, astound and astonish. This is another really terrific post. I am most appreciative that your posts represent a kind of progression. I don't think I could have really understood this post without some of your earlier ones.

I also can't say enough about how much your posts encourage a kind of intelligent approach to dress. That one can engage in variety without being obtrusive. For that alone, they would be invaluable. With everything else in them, they approach the transcendent.

thank you again.
couch

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:58 pm

As I studied this latest commentary on my recent trip, I was struck again by how refreshing it is in one crucial respect--throughout the original articles as well as Etutee's enlightening observations, there is virtually (perhaps literally) NO mention of brands. It's a measure of how different "style" coverage is today that most features are limited to photos of expensive, badly worn clothes with accompanying captions that say only "Suit, Pal Zileri, $X000, at Barney's."

Not that makers and sources are not important, but when they replace discussion of materials, line, color and pattern, construction, function, and social setting, the conversation is impoverished and clothes wearers are left at the mercy of the marketer's "ideas."

So in addition to your own acute observations, Etutee, I want to thank you--and London Lounge as a forum--for reintroducing this form of writing and thiinking about clothes. It has a blessedly high signal-to-noise ratio, and is much appreciated.
pchong

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:24 am

Thank you once again...much learnt, and much more to learn at your feet...
Charley

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:22 pm

Tutee,

Thank you so much for continuing to post these marvelous works. There is much to learn from these illustrations. More than is first apparent to me. The inclusion of the original commentary, accompanied by your explanations which expand on that and put them into context, is a very good education for me. What a pity that analysis of this type is no longer available in the current mens' clothing business.
clarkebmc

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Etutee,
Comme d'habitude, c'est merveilleux.
(please excuse the high-school french)

The exposition on overcoats was particularily interesting, useful and unique.

Merci

/* clarkebmc*/
alden

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:26 pm

Etutee

I was curious about the following figure, is this a raglan sleeve raincoat with patch pockets?

Great post!

Michael
  • Information