Waistcoats

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:28 am

I am about to commission a three piece suit in navy flannel chalkstripe. I initially wished the waistcoat to be double-breasted with peak lapels (the jacket will be SB peak), but I cannot recall ever seeing anything but a solid fabric working in DB. Something about the stripes going in too many directions – seems the overall effect would be too busy. I’ve seen the stripes aligned vertically on the waistcoat’s lapels to match its body, but this strikes me as being too contrived. Does this make sense and would a SB waistcoat really be a better idea?

Along with the flannel chalkstripe suit, I will also be having a subtle glen plaid with overpane three-piece made up. My sense is that this will have more chance at success in a DB with lapel (shawl, probably) format. Still, I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with patterned DB waistcoats and if any advice, encouraging or discouraging, could be offered.

Thank you.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:38 pm

I have a DB waistcoat in a loud checked tweed, matching an odd jacket.

All in the eye of the beholder of course but the combination works fine.

I should think stripes would also be effective if the pattern matching was competent.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:44 pm

I think much depends on the actual pattern type itself. Some will look better than others in the DB vest format. I've seen examples in stripes of varying kinds that worked well, while I've seen quite busy patterns that looked awful.

Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:02 am

I'm ordering all future suits with waistcoat, three piece.

A very elegant look which I am only now begining to appreciate.

As to vest with odd coat, also an excellent look but requires more dressing skills.

A challenge but can really elevate wearing an odd coat to the next level, the dandy level.
  • Information