How many jackets do you own (both suit and odd)?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

How many jackets do you own (both suit and odd)?

5 or less
11%
6-10
21%
11-15
20%
16-20
16%
20-25
13%
25-30
18%

Total votes: 61

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:59 am

I have built up a collection of more than 30, but sadly most are now unworn due to my growing out of them and changed tastes.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:36 am

I have more than needed, but less than desired, which I suspect is the case with at least 80% of the members...
Because of that, the current distribution looks exponential: naught in the first 2 intervals and MAX in the last one(s). In order to obtain a more balanced, "standard" (bell-shaped) distribution, perhaps the intervals should have been something like 1-10, 11-20, 20-30, 31-40, over 41. Even so I wouldn't be surprised if the graph were humped towards "over 41"
:roll:
C

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:01 am

I have built up a collection of more than 30, but sadly most are now unworn due to my growing out of them and changed tastes.
if anybody have something he could wear anymore ...let me know....i would be happy to wear them .......

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:45 am

That was silly of me, someone should edit the poll so that there is a category of >30.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:18 pm

Over 30.

However, a good number are in a dormant state since they do not fit as well as the ones which get more use. I recently edited the closet and gave away four suits which did not fit well (one never fit well) and which were not alterable.

I have come to think that quality is more imortant than quantity. A couple of the best dressed people that I know regularly prune their wardrobes and have a small working wardrobe.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:29 pm

Small, carefully edited wardrobes of the finest, best-fitting garments are the way to go.

Recall Frazier's analysis of Biddle's wardrobe.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:51 pm

The distribution is starting to even out...
Small, carefully edited wardrobes of the finest, best-fitting garments are the way to go
How true... But this is most often a process of distillation, which starts from a wide and heterogenous basis, then concentrates with time and dispenses with all that fails to excel.

C

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:51 pm

The distribution is starting to even out...
Small, carefully edited wardrobes of the finest, best-fitting garments are the way to go
How true... But this is most often a process of distillation, which starts from a wide and heterogenous basis, then concentrates with time and dispenses with all that fails to excel.

C
Othelo

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:15 am

I count 45, but only 4 are bespoke for me, and I confess that I inherit some of them from my father and grand father wardrobe, fortunately we had the same shape of body...
Will

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Guest wrote:Small, carefully edited wardrobes of the finest, best-fitting garments are the way to go.
I agree with all but the word small.
rodes

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes, the word "small" needs to be translated into a number. I trust that is the point of the question. For me, living in three season climate, that number is now 20, with an ideal medium of say 26, 15 suit and 11 odd.
  • Information