GJ Cleverley RTW

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

jlaz

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:24 pm

What are your thoughts on their product?
SouthPender

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:33 pm

There's currently a thread running on the AskAndyAboutClothes forum about Cleverley RTW, with lots of opinions and information already posted. The basics are:

Cleverley RTW are made to Cleverley designs by Crockett & Jones to what is assumed to be the latter's Handgrade standards. This would seem to place them a small step, perhaps, below Edward Green and John Lobb Paris in quality, although I suppose it's possible that the shoes C&J make for Cleverley are of higher quality than regular C&J Handgrades. Most knowledgeable forumers, however, don't believe that there's a difference in quality between the Cleverley RTWs and C&J Handgrades. Cleverley do, however, provide something on the order of 41 RTW models (although some are repetitions of designs in different colors, and each of the 41 is in only one color), and among those models are some very nice designs, most of them different from the C&J Handgrade offerings. The price quoted to me by George Glasgow, the Cleverley general manager (and possibly owner), last fall was 300 GBP for RTW. The shoes are available only in E-fitting (roughly US D width). In case you don't have it, here's the link to the RTW collection:

http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/readymadeshoes.php
TVD

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:26 pm

I use Cleverley RTW for suede loafers and have had several generations of them serve my casual requirements extremely well. They are well made RTW shoes with properly covered stitching on the soles and using good quality leather. They benefit from Cleverley's stylish choice of designs.

It is years since I last bought Greens, and I never had a pair of Crocket & Jones (JL Paris man ususally, or bespoke), so I cannot compare.

The only danger with them is that entering the shop may seduce one to indulge in the bespoke offering which is nigh irresistible, but also ruinous. Bespoke is simply in a league of its own, when properly done.
jlaz

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Interesting. What do you think about bespoke shoes? what is the difference in quality and style? I love bespoke suits and cufflinks but I have yet to try shoes.

Also what is the quality of C and J handgrade?
EGAF

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:00 pm

What do you think about bespoke shoes? what is the difference in quality and style?
Cleverley's bespoke shoes are simply stunning. They offer three distinct advantages over even very high quality RTW shoes. First, the fit is unsurpassed for obvious reasons.

Second, the style of the shoes is remarkable. I prefer a very traditional shoe, so the syle has to come from the subtle details of form and construction. Compare a Cleverley bespoke to any RTW shoe and the difference is clear. I have a solid collection of shoes from many well-regarded makers, but the Cleverley bespokes clearly stand out. (To be fair, the same can be said of Tony Gazziano's shoes, the only other bespoke shoemaker with whom I have had the pleasure of working.) RTW simply are not in the same league when it comes to the details.

Finally, the durability of these shoes has astounded me. They are seemingly indestructable.

Simply put, bespoke shoes give you fit, subtle style and durability. Whether any of these points make them good value for the price conscious consumer, I sincerely doubt. That having been said, I certainly wouldn't part with any of mine if offered a refund.
  • Information