Vol. II No. IV (April 06') Spring-Summer / Palm Beach AA

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Cufflink79

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Dear Etutee:
Thank you very much for the time and effort you have put into this great post. I really like the photo of the gentlemen on the airplane showing the good old days of travel. Thanks again Etutee and keep up the great work.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
alden

Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:38 am

The word “comfort” is used at least five times in the opening paragraphs of Etutee’s latest excellent study.

Comfort is the sine qua non of Elegance. In Summer, comfort is even more important.

Most men spend loads of time and effort worrying about cloth, cut, color, construction in the process of crafting their garments. They often wind up with clothes that look great and are not wearable.

Begin with comfort. Think of the use you will make of the clothes. Identify the situations and conditions you will encounter. Then let cloth, cut, color and construction serve the comfort blueprint you have imagined and designed.

This is what a comfortable and elegant trouser looks like. Its not the painted on, tight , thigh strangler, I see so many of you guys wearing (and suffering in.) This is the Astaire trouser you can dance in, if you know how. If you don't dance, you still need to move gracefully.

In the Summer, we have many occasions to go jacketless. The elegant dresser knows how to do so in such a way that the jacket does not seem to be missing.

The very elegant blue polo shirt shown in the article worn with fawn flannel trousers can be very difficult to find these days. The kinds of polo shirts commonly sold cannot replace this very simple and refined look. So stay away from polo shirts. Instead, have your shirtmaker make up a good selection of linen collared shirts in plains and stripes. This at least until the LL can find a way to commission a line of 30s style polo shirts in the right fabrics.

Cheers
iammatt

Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:57 pm

alden wrote:

The very elegant blue polo shirt shown in the article worn with fawn flannel trousers can be very difficult to find these days. The kinds of polo shirts commonly sold cannot replace this very simple and refined look. So stay away from polo shirts. Instead, have your shirtmaker make up a good selection of linen collared shirts in plains and stripes. This at least until the LL can find a way to commission a line of 30s style polo shirts in the right fabrics.

Cheers
Michael,

You may want to look up Avon Celli out of Italy. They were born in the era of the 20s and 30s and still pride themselves on making knits that evoke those times. Some of their items are a bit more forward, but may of their polo shirts are not very different than those worn by elegant men in the 30s.
Arpey

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:09 pm

I have been looking for a pair of lightweight fawn coloured flannels for a while without success. Does anyone know of any US manufacturers / retailers that may carry them?
dopey

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:45 pm

Arpey wrote:I have been looking for a pair of lightweight fawn coloured flannels for a while without success. Does anyone know of any US manufacturers / retailers that may carry them?
Check with Paul Stuart. I bought a pair of summer-weight fawn-colored flannels at their big warehouse sale last year.
Arpey

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:58 pm

dopey wrote:
Arpey wrote:I have been looking for a pair of lightweight fawn coloured flannels for a while without success. Does anyone know of any US manufacturers / retailers that may carry them?
Check with Paul Stuart. I bought a pair of summer-weight fawn-colored flannels at their big warehouse sale last year.
Thanks
Etutee

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:58 pm

uppercase wrote:Just a small question here; I can't quite make out what this model is wearing under the bush shirt below.

Is that an ascot or perhaps even another shirt?
Dear uppercase,

The gent is wearing a foulard muffler worn in ascot manner. You could also opt for a mesh type shirt but that would not be advisable for the warmest of days.

These mufflers can be in neat foulards or other discreet patterns. Often striped ones were worn at Regatta.

sincerely
etutee
gsi

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Dear Etutee,

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into your articles. They are unparalleled and such a pleasure to read.

Sincerely,
George
  • Information