Whiskey - The Why and Wherefore

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Parishow

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:43 pm

As a habit, I always have a Martini before dinner and afterwards, if time is right, smoke a cigar with either a glass of port or Armagnac. But as of late, I have been thinking about single malt Scotch Whisky. Never been a Scotch fan (at least for Blended Scotch), I plan to start tasting the single malts, but my question is, and please excuse my ignorence, when does one drink Scotch? Before dinner? , in place of a cocktail? After dinner? With a cigar?

Is there any protocol? Only becaue maybe I've been watching too many Engish movies, Television programs and there seems to me to be some sort of rules concerning drinking Scotch Whisky.
dopey

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:21 pm

I enjoy all of the brown liquids, such as Scotch Whiskey, Irish Whiskey, Rum, Bourbon and Rye. They are similar in the crafting that it is hard for me to imagine liking one to the exclusion of others, but I know that some people do and you might as well. In my experience, a well made version of any of these is good sippin‘. I tend to drink rum more in the summer and bourbon and whiskeys more during the colder months. Rye, I reserve for Manhattans. Seasonal suggestions aside, I can only warn you that too strong a drink with dinner won’t go well with your food and might spoil some of the taste. Unless you like your drinks very watered I would reserve them for before or after rather than during a meal. And for any other time you like.
whittaker

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:30 pm

You'll find as you taste single malts a huge palate of flavours. You won't wish to drink malt during a meal, unless perhaps traditionally with some haggis. For me, malts at the sharper, citrus end of the range work marvellously with a few pistachios pre-dinner. After dinner with a cigar there are many smoky and peaty, more complex malts than work terribly well.
Parishow

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:04 pm

whittaker wrote:You'll find as you taste single malts a huge palate of flavours. You won't wish to drink malt during a meal, unless perhaps traditionally with some haggis. For me, malts at the sharper, citrus end of the range work marvellously with a few pistachios pre-dinner. After dinner with a cigar there are many smoky and peaty, more complex malts than work terribly well.
Dear Whittaker,
Thank you for the informartion. Have a question, I am going to check out a local restuarant that carries many single Malt Whiskies, to try to find some I like before I buy a bottle or two. I am told that lowland whiskies are milder and maybe a bit blander? and that Highland and on the Islands, are sharper, stronger in flavor. Is there maybe a brand or two I should try to get my feet wet? Thank you in advance.
leiter

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:47 pm

A good introductory single malt is the Glenlivet 18. This has much more character than the Glenlivet 12 -- enough character to give you a sense of what single malts are about. Moreover, it's in the middle of the range in terms of flavors: some nuttiness, but not too much; some fruitiness, but not too much; some sherry, but not too much; etc.

The next step up in intensity -- oak, peat -- is the Macallan 18. This is also different from the younger Macallans, but less different than Glenlivet 18 is from Glenlivet 12. Nonetheless if you are tasting from Glenlivet up, you should go to Macallan 18 since that is the age at which the new flavors really emerge.

From there, you should go to my favorite, Laphroaig. The Laphroaig 10 is strongly smoky and ocean-y. But this shouldn't be overstated -- L. is often described as strong the point of offputtingness, and I do not find it so even in the 10-year-old version. Laphroaig 15 is what I drink regularly. It is a mellower, smoother version of Laphroaig 10 without losing any of the flavor. Try this if you try nothing else from Islay.

If you like the Laphroaig, you'll also like Lagavulin 16. It's a winner.
whittaker

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:57 pm

Lowlanders are lighter but can be dull, at least in youth. Not bad as a starting point but do go for one with "a few grey hairs". A Glenkinchie 10yo would be representative and a pleasant enough aperitif.

You'll find more character in a classic Speyside, as Mr. Leiter suggests. The Glenlivet 12yo is a splendid choice. Dalwhinnie 15yo is another excellent gentle, subtle malt. If you fancy a touch more sherry, Macallan 12yo is a personal favourite, as is Glendronach 15yo.

Once you head for the islands, the differences are more marked. Highland Park 12yo and Talisker 10yo are delightful.

Islay's tastes are on their own and the peat monster Laphroaig 10yo would be a bold choice for a novice. If you were only to sample one malt, go for the "Original Cask Strength" 10yo Laphroaig, deep, complex and very powerful.
Concordia

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 pm

My own bias here is that I'm not really a whisky drinker. There is a sort of medicinal taste to most Scotch that I've always hated, and the single malts I do like are ones that manage to sidestep the problem.

Given that, the Islay malts and others listed above from the various islands are actually some of my favorites. They can be nasty and uncompromising, like a good estate tweed. The smoke and seaweed seem to overcome the more typical flavors.

If you like Glenlivets, Springbank is a very special find. Many types, even vintage years. Worth seeking out.

Glenmorangie (whose regular blend I don't much care for) has a series of malts aged in wood-- sherry, Port, or Madeira. Those are worth looking for. The Madeira I would peg as a pre-dinner drink for those who like that idea. Port is quite mellow. Sherry aging can be found elsewhere, and theirs is not leaps and bounds ahead.
E. Tage Larsen

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:55 pm

For scotches I stick only to the single malts, with Laphroaig being where my scotch career rests. The last few years have been chasing after bourbons, preferring Woodford neat and Knob Creek for my Manhattans. I’ll have a few Manhattans at Bemelmans’ before dinner but generally wouldn’t advocate whiskey before a tender meal, as it will give your palate a workout.

There is a short article in the present Esquire that mates scotch tastes in popular brands to lesser known imports. Shy of an excellent scotch bar, it seemed an ample solution to finding similar liquors to known favorites.
dopey

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:36 pm

E. Tage Larsen wrote:. . . The last few years have been chasing after bourbons, preferring Woodford neat . . .
This could describe me as well.
E. Tage Larsen

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:15 pm

My Dear Dopey,

I do hope you've tried the Brandy Library in TriBeCa. There's a puckish bartender there that gets in very odd small cask Bourbons and takes pride in offering them to patrons that seem up to the challenge. They are also an incredible source of scotchs.

http://brandylibrary.com/sections/home.htm
jcusey

Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:49 pm

I would recommend that you pick up a copy of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078949 ... e&n=283155. This is a wonderful general guide to all sorts of whiskey and whisky, from Scotch to Irish to Japanese to Bourbon. There are articles about all aspects of whiskey production and consumption and about the different distillation areas and a selection of tasting notes.

There are so many different styles of whiskey that there can be no single answer about how to enjoy it. A light-bodied, clean Irish whiskey might be appropriate as an aperitif, a smoky, peaty Islay Scotch may be more appropriate after dinner with a cigar.

A few other random thoughts:

1. Older whiskies aren't necessarily better than younger whiskeys. An old whiskey can be dried out, dominated by wood, and unpleasant.

2. More expensive whiskies aren't necessarily better than less expensive whiskies. I've had excellent whiskey that cost less than $20 per bottle, and I've had unpleasant whiskey that cost more than $50 per bottle.

3. Single malt whiskies aren't necessarily better than blended or vatted whiskies. Johnnie Walker Black Label, a blended Scotch, could destroy a significant number of single-malt Scotches. Black Bottle, another blended Scotch, is one of the finest whiskies that you'll find anywhere.

4. A whiskey does not have to have big body and intense flavor to be good. Islay Scotches and other peated whiskies get a lot of attention nowadays, and a lot of that attention is appropriate. But it is a mistake to think that lighter-bodied lighter-flavored whiskies cannot be as excellent in their own way as the Islays.

5. It's okay to dilute whiskey for drinking if that's how you like it. There is nothing impure or wimpy about not drinking your whiskey neat. In fact, the addition of a bit of water can help to release flavors and aromas in the whiskey.

6. Try a lot of different whiskies, and drink what you enjoy. Scotch snobs like to turn up their noses at Glenlivet, for example, but if you like it, you should drink it.
rjman

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:31 am

As much as I like Laphroaig (considerably), I may enjoy Ardbeg even more -- in addition to its peatiness are wonderful vanilla tastes.

Does anyone have an opinion on Compass Box?
jcusey

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:09 am

rjman wrote: Does anyone have an opinion on Compass Box?
Which one? I have tried both Asyla and Eleuthera and liked them both. Given that you like Laphroig and Ardbeg, you would probably like Eleuthera, although it's not as peaty as either one. Of course, how could it be?
david_carnell

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:01 pm

jcusey wrote:
3. Single malt whiskies aren't necessarily better than blended or vatted whiskies. Johnnie Walker Black Label, a blended Scotch, could destroy a significant number of single-malt Scotches. Black Bottle, another blended Scotch, is one of the finest whiskies that you'll find anywhere.
Indeed. For those with a little more to spend, Johnnie Walker Blue Label is one of the finest whiskies I have been lucky enought to try. Crafted with real skill it is often overlooked due to being a) a blend and not single malt and b) a known "brand". Overlook it at your peril but perhaps just try by the glass before spending a few hundred dollars on a bottle.

More info here and buy here.
TVD

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:29 pm

25 year old Highland Park was a similarly stunning drink until they changed the blend a few years ago. Since then, just avoid.
  • Information