Handkerchiefs: where to find them, how to use them?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

E. Tage Larsen

Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:58 pm

Gentlemen, please forgive me if the following is either tiresome or particularly daft on my part: As someone who was taught that it was improper for a gentleman to wear a pocket square until the age of 35 [I have NO idea where I picked this up from,] I now at the ripe age of 35 have taken a keen interest in the art but am attempting to swim without getting too wet.

At Seigo, in New York, I noticed, for the first time, that there’s a difference between pocket squares and handkerchiefs. What if any is the current division and preference between the two. And what are the circumstances that govern each?
Mulberrywood

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:46 am

E Tage,

I am working on a history of the pocket square and you might enjoy reading this:

http://www.mulberrywood.com/pocketsquar ... istory.htm

As for the difference between pocket squares and handkerchiefs, the Irish put it well when they say that one is for "blowing" and one is for show.

The weight of a handkerchief tends to be lighter if it is linen and silk is usually for pocket squares rather than handkerchiefs.

Really high quality pocket squares are going to have around 6 stitches to the inch on the hand-rolled edges. I could go on but I think that you are getting the idea
E. Tage Larsen

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Dear Sir,

Thank you greatly for the history. The 19th Century separation is mostly where i'd been lost. Seigo indicated that their pocket squares were larger which is where the confusion initiated and your report resolved.

Most sincerely,

E. Tage Larsen
Mulberrywood

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:33 pm

E.Tage,

I am curious what are Seigo's pocket squares like?

David Hober
E. Tage Larsen

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:23 pm

Dear David:

I'll get better information next time i check in at Seigo. They produce limited edition ties on a monthly basis so i like to check in time to time. All of their silk is produced in japan. Typically the patterns are simple and bold. They have a white pocket square with a blue blue edge that i thought was very attractive.

They're begining to recognize me so it'll be easier for me to have a longer discussion with them on my next visit.

Sincerely,

Eric
Mulberrywood

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:50 pm

Dear Eric,

They sound like an interesting store. We have not yet started to make pocket squares with a different color edge, but we are working on it. Hopefully, soon.

David

http://www.mulberrywood.com/store
E. Tage Larsen

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:31 pm

Dear David:

I was up looking at a gallery on 90th yesterday and took the opportunity to stop in again at Seigo. I asked the proprietor about his pocket squares and i believe the silk is from Kyoto like the ties. He could tell me that the prints are all original for them and that the squares are hand-rolled. Beyond that he grew wary of my questions and allowed that somebody else constructed them for him.

The colors and patterns are very beautiful. I don't know enough yet to judge the nuance in quality.
citizenk

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:00 pm

K-tie,

I have a black & red Thai Mudmee silk pocket square from Mulberrywood that looks really fantastic. It has a rough (but woven & patterned) texture that I have never seen in other silks.

I got the pocket square in the same pattern & colors as a Mudmee scarf that I ordered for my wife. To give you an idea of how much my wife liked the scarf, she hung it over the fireplace in the living room! Which indicated to me that it was worthy of public display (she loves and collects textiles, as do I). It got a lot of positive comments at her birthday party.

So, I don't think you could go wrong with one of Mulberrywood's creations.

Check it out!
RALPH

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:55 pm

I read an earlier reply on the subject of pocket squares/hankerchiefs. A Mr. Larsen was under the impression that pocket squares should ONLY be worn by those at or above 35 years of age? Is this common law, or personal opinion, as i am 25, and i think a pocket square would complement a suit very nicely, if done right, naturally...obviously i am not trying to question the mans knowledge or challenge his knowledge i just don't want to look out of place...although sometimes looking out of place is not all bad....
citizenk

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:49 am

RaLpH,

By all means. wear a PS!

No-one will think poorly of you for dong so!

v/r
E. Tage Larsen

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:59 pm

Dear Ralph:

Though I am now 36 and have finally grown comfortable wearing a pocket square on most outings (after only a month of practice,) I can reassure you that in all things sartorial I should be questioned and re-questioned as I am a novice amongst the many more learned members of this forum.

The “before 35” rule I grew up with was probably some regional thing and certainly not the best of sense or in the spirit of this community.
rip

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:16 pm

RALPH wrote:I read an earlier reply on the subject of pocket squares/hankerchiefs. A Mr. Larsen was under the impression that pocket squares should ONLY be worn by those at or above 35 years of age? Is this common law, or personal opinion, as i am 25, and i think a pocket square would complement a suit very nicely, if done right, naturally...obviously i am not trying to question the mans knowledge or challenge his knowledge i just don't want to look out of place...although sometimes looking out of place is not all bad....
It's almost certainly a personal, perhaps regional opinion, and, in my belief, a rather stupid and parochial one at that. If denied the elegance of dress in youth, one ends up dressing like the proverbial American Jackass and thinks it's OK.
RALPH

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:26 am

I appreciate eveyone for their quick response and frankness....

Mr Larsen, i also appreciate you initial opinion, without which i would'nt have thought of asking the pocket square question, thanks...

I have since bought two and hope to put them to good use very soon

Ralph
cscottmax

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:21 pm

i typically buy my handkerchiefs from harvie and hudson's website. i prefer cotton, since it acutally absorbs sweat from one's brow in a hot louisiana summer. linen just seems to rearrange the perspiration, and silk just isn't cut out for that job either.

sign me an utilitarian . ..
  • Information