Brushing ones hair in the 21st Century

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Parishow

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:45 pm

My Edwardian Grandfather and my father, always use to brush their hair morning and evening; using two Military Oval Kent brushes, as was the habit of lots of men in the 1910's, 20's and 30's.

But today, it seems men that I know, either use a single brush or one of those 'plastic' brushes.

My question is , does anyone any longer use the Military two brush sets? and if so, do you find your hair sets better.

All I know, is that my grandfather and father lived to be in their 90's and had a full set of hair. Was it the twice daily brushing? I'd like to think so.

Thank you for your input, based on what you say, I may consider going back to the two brush method of combing my hair.
dopey

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:48 pm

Parishow wrote:
All I know, is that my grandfather and father lived to be in their 90's and had a full set of hair. Was it the twice daily brushing? I'd like to think so.
A bit late with this revelation now, don’t you think. Where were you when I needed your advice fifteen years ago?
whittaker

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:52 pm

My single oval Kent brush has been in daily usage for a long time. Despite my brushing once a day I'm a pleased to report that I have a healthy head of hair.

My father used two oval Kent brushes, morning and evening. Whilst he was always impeccably groomed he was mostly bald by his fifties.
RWS

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:22 pm

My father, a retired soldier, has used two brushes since his adolescence, if not earlier; now in his eighties, he still has thick hair. His father also used two brushes but had very little hair left when he died in his nineties.

I, too, use two brushes. Whose pattern will my hair follow?
andreyb

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Gents, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of using two brushes? Why one brush is not enough for both morning and evening?

Andrey
RWS

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm

Andrey, one uses a brush in each hand, speeding the act of brushing and parting one's hair with a brush and a brush, rather than with a brush and a comb.
King Arthur

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 pm

I like using a double brush also and I recommend it's use.
It may have some connection with a full head of hair,
being brushing your hair stimulates your scalp.
I like to double brush hair serum into my hair to keep it healthy and strong.
blickdastardly

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:52 am

As i have some expertise in this area i will exsplain a few things for you.
Yes the military kent brush was a great in its day but i would recommend Mason Pearson for a true giant.Regular brushing plays an important part in the condition of you hair.The mason pearson will clean the hair,stimulates the increasing the blood flow to the roots.A natural conditioning oil called "SEBUM"comes to the surface and is spread by the brush along the hair giving it strength and sheen,but alas this my dear boy does not stop you from going bald but merly makes it look good when you have it! hope this will help you on your quest for a good grooming brush
DD MacDonald

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:37 pm

I have a pair of my grandfather's oval Kent military brushes - the backs are mahogany with inset14k gold initials. They are just "so '20s". I understand that they were a gift from my grandmother to my grandfather on their honeymoon in Bermuda.

I have never really gotten the hang of using the two brushes at once and ordinarily use one and then the other, but I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

Alhough the bristles seem in good shape, do any members know of any restoration/rebristling services?

DDM
  • Information