VOL. IV NO. 1 (Aug 08') On Footwear... AA / Esky

Read all the excellent articles written by the LL style scholar, Etutee.
pchong

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:02 pm

wonderful, wonderful post. Thanks...very informative and interesting.
NCW

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:02 am

This is a splendid source of information. I add my thanks to those of all the previous posters; the time you spend on these articles is greatly appreciated.
Cufflink79

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Dear Etutee:

What can I say, you have crafted an article as well made as the shoes we see in the photos.

My most sincerest thanks to you and Dopey for all your hard work and dedication. The articles you've put together are always a welcome sight, and a great source of information and inspiration to be read and reviewed over and over again.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Costi

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Dear etutee and dopey,

I tried to read the entire article before thanking you both for such a comprehensive illustrated piece of writing. I can see the hard work in putting all this together and making it available for us. There is a generous amount of quality information, but I especially enjoyed the history section.
I see you chose to describe what good RTW used to be like: how a shoe was checked for fit in a good shop, how it was made in a factory. I was wondering if the difference in the level of service in good shoe shops reflects a similar difference in the current production methods of Goodyear welted shoes and how this affects quality. Are good RTW shoes still made to these standards and how can one tell the difference between these and the “rushed through the factory in half the time” shoes even the original article mentions?
dopey

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:41 pm

Costi wrote:Dear etutee and dopey,

I tried to read the entire article before thanking you both for such a comprehensive illustrated piece of writing. I can see the hard work in putting all this together and making it available for us. There is a generous amount of quality information, but I especially enjoyed the history section.
I see you chose to describe what good RTW used to be like: how a shoe was checked for fit in a good shop, how it was made in a factory. I was wondering if the difference in the level of service in good shoe shops reflects a similar difference in the current production methods of Goodyear welted shoes and how this affects quality. Are good RTW shoes still made to these standards and how can one tell the difference between these and the “rushed through the factory in half the time” shoes even the original article mentions?
To be clear, my work consisted of feeding a document scanner and using an OCR program, with some mild editing. My contribution was minimal and the value added was all etutee's.
Costi

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 pm

I respect your undissimulated modesty, but what matters here beyond the substance of your contributionis that, as etutee wrote, your help made the post possible. This is not an easy post (like all other etutee's posts actually) and, as he wrote, three cheers for anyone who took part of the burden off his shoulders!
andreyb

Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:42 pm

Etutee,

Let me join the chorus: this is a wonderful contribution, very well appreciated!

And a question, if you don't mind.

You wrote:
The full brogue (technically speaking) should not be executed in black calf but then again we don’t care for these matters in this day and age, do we?
I wonder, why full brogue can't be black? I agree that it is far more aesthetically pleasing in brown, but apart of aesthetics, why it shouldn't be executed in black?

Andrey
Etutee

Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:34 pm

andreybokhanko wrote:
I wonder, why full brogue can't be black? I agree that it is far more aesthetically pleasing in brown, but apart of aesthetics, why it shouldn't be executed in black?

Andrey
because it is heavily rooted in country / casual / sporty / non-calf tradition and almost always used to be on a country last.

just like cap-toe oxford is rooted in more cosmopolitan tradition.
Pangur

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Thank you for another wonderful article!
andreyb

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately, some of the pictures posted by Etutee are not visible anymore -- due to well-known imageshack hosting issues.

If some of you happen to have them saved (especially ones from "The Art of Selling Quality Shoes" section), I would appreciate if you'll share them with me.

Andrey
DonB

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:09 pm

andreybokhanko wrote:Gentlemen,

Unfortunately, some of the pictures posted by Etutee are not visible anymore -- due to well-known imageshack hosting issues.

If some of you happen to have them saved (especially ones from "The Art of Selling Quality Shoes" section), I would appreciate if you'll share them with me.

Andrey
Due to the nature of the internet, I decided to make a backup for personal reference. It contains 27 articles in PDF-format:

I have made it available for download:

http://bars.rug.nl/download/9a506f03053272e0

The link is valid until September 16.

Regards,
Don
marcelo

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:38 am

DonB,
thank you for this. I have downloaded the zip file and saved some of the individual files. :D
Marcelo
Costi

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:52 am

Thank you, excellent selection!
Bill

Tue May 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi,
I really enjoyed the write up on footwear. My daughter and I are doing research on closed-toe sandals.

Does anyone know where the term "English Sandals" originated? I have traced it back to 1903 in the USA when the New York Times used the term "English Barefoot Sandal". The style must have existed earlier in the UK but we have not been able to determine when. Any help would be appreciated.
Bill
hectorm

Tue May 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Bill wrote: Does anyone know where the term "English Sandals" originated? I have traced it back to 1903 in the USA when the New York Times used the term "English Barefoot Sandal". The style must have existed earlier in the UK but we have not been able to determine when. Any help would be appreciated.
Have you checked with the people at the Bata Shoe Museum? I think they are linked to the University of Toronto (at least they are in their campus). BTW, the Bata is a place that all LL members interested in shoes should visit if they have an opportunity.
  • Information