Orson Welles on STYLE

A selection of London Lounge articles
alden

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:12 pm

Orson Welles on STYLE:

"STYLE is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn”

+1

You’ve probably heard that or something like it before on these pages, or on videos and interviews.

But the current dogma of style, judging from what I see on blogs and the like, is more like this:

“style is wondering who you are, polling others to figure out what to say and soiling yourself with worry about what others might think.”

Cheers
andreyb

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm

Michael, touché! :D
Luca

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 am

I entirely understand Mr Alden's point of view. It's difficult to carry off being someone else or pretending with any panache or style.

But I suppose, too, that this sort of solipsism is interpreted, in contemporary culture, as: be as slovenly and drab in your attire as the law permits.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is: for a young person attempting to disentangle themselves from the dreck of the current norm, perhaps a few years of strict tuition, of imitation, if you will, are probably necessary before that personal style can flower productively.
alden

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 pm

I guess that what I'm trying to say is: for a young person attempting to disentangle themselves from the dreck of the current norm, perhaps a few years of strict tuition, of imitation, if you will, are probably necessary before that personal style can flower productively.
STYLE has nothing to do with clothing. I know that is the 9,673, 234th time I have said that and it does not sink in.

If the discussion is about how to motivate young people to dress better, that is a different theme altogether and frankly I haven't a clue.

I was about to write that you will be hard pressed to find any inklings of STYLE in one out of a thousand men, but I suspect the number is probably one out of a hundred Ks. It is very rare and that is why it is so bewitching. I don't believe you can train your neighborhood yutes to acquire and embody it, unless they happen to be born with it.
Luca

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Ah, THAT style. The innate charm / charisma style...

Yeah, can't really teach that.

Maybe by osmosis...
davidhuh

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:37 pm

"Un homme devient riche; il naît élégant"
Balzac
  • Information