Gratitude for the LL

A selection of London Lounge articles
jscherrer

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:51 am

I've been reflecting on my "sartorial journey" and I can say that I would not have come as far as I have without the assistance of the knowledgeable people in this forum.

I recall in my twenties when my go-to dress was a "nice" t-shirt, a pair of jeans, no belt, and high-top basketball sneakers. I was a real lady killer back then. :D

Now I do manage to exhibit a bit of style, but as alluded above, to the extent that I do, it's because I've had some excellent virtual mentors.

And, if I may say, that's what our young men need today more than ever--good mentorship.
couch

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:09 am

Handsomely done, jscherrer. You are certainly not alone in feeling a debt to Michael and the LL. I at least have learned a great deal—in addition to enjoying excellent virtual company—from everyone here, including the original cohort who have mostly moved on to other conversations or other concerns. So I follow your good example in expressing my gratitude. As Michael would say, chapeau!
davidhuh

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 pm

Dear jscherrer,
Dear couch,

you both express my feelings and gratitude much better than I could. The LL has indeed changed my life in many aspects :D

Cheers, David
Melcombe

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:06 am

I can only agree with these comments. LL has certainly helped me to a better understanding of the joy of bespoke tailoring.

The effects of wearing clothes from which you derive particular satisfaction and enjoyment should not be underestimated. If I know I'm facing a particularly challenging day, I invariably pick a favourite suit, and dress with care. Somehow this gives me a firm footing to look challenges squarely in the eye.

Im particularly conscious of this effect as Im presently reading "Drunk Tank Pink" - which I can heartily recommend if you like popular science as a literary genre - (by Adam Alter - ISBN-13: 978-1780745831) which contains a number of very surprising conclusions on the remarkably profound effects of colour choice and cultural conditioning.

One unexpected result of raised sartoriconsciousness (is that a word yet??) is that I used to get compliments from colleagues when I turned up looking smart. Now they've got used to it I only get comments if the opposite applies. Oh well.

Gratefully,

David
alden

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:16 pm

My sincere thanks to you all for these kind words.

It has been an absolute pleasure getting to know many of you during the years. Discussions regarding style are among the most pleasant imaginable. If they prove useful then all the better.

Members come and go. Many drop by from time to time. And I always appreciate greatly your messages and photos.

Keep em coming...

Cheers

Michael
uppercase

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:57 am

Yes, probably the gold standard site for bespoke

I've now been here for what …10 years … when LL was a Yahoo site.?

Low traffic. Low drama. Low energy. But a pretty fair resource site for bespoke clothing.
Thank you Alden.

Bespoke is fraught with opinion drama and bias.

Here, all is welcome and freely and fairly discussed.

A lot of knowledge here among members , freely shared in good fellowship.

Still, need to hear more, and more frequently, from Alden in his opinionated narrow and exclusionary way. But that is bespoke at its best …I know.

Preach to us Alden !!

I am listening.

Still waiting for a book from you!!
rodes

Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:00 am

Well said gentlemen. I agree and thank you all for your courteous remarks. Long live the LL. There are no better forums.
hectorm

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:30 pm

uppercase wrote: Preach to us Alden !! I am listening.
So am I.
Screaminmarlon

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:29 pm

uppercase wrote: Preach to us Alden !!

I am listening.

Me too
M.
davidhuh

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Gentlemen,

last week, I collected my first two Piuma lounge suits from the tailor - the grey PoW plus the tan cloth. Since Rangoon is gone, my expectations regarding light weight cloth are limited. I took some lengths of Piuma for purely practical reasons - summer business wear. We are lucky to have Brisa here - a cloth I have fallen in love with. But what a surprise wearing the Piumas for the first time! Michael, you have beaten Rangoon! Piuma falls extremely well, it feels nice and soft, it doesn't crease a lot - simply superb! I still prefer the Brisa, but the Piuma is probably what you can achieve at this weight.

Also my old tailor was full of praise. He has hardly seen such a light weight that was such a pleasure to work with. With this in mind, I prefer more soft wear (cloth) over hardware (books) :D

At the same occasion, I almost invented the button free tail suit. But that's a story for later.

Cheers, David
alden

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:55 am

David

Thank you. Piuma is an exceptional cloth. No one wants to market this quality of cloth anymore so it has vanished. Rangoon is a good example of a calamitous disappearance. It's all a question of economics, the top quality fabrics a mill can make are very expensive. Distributors make bigger margins selling the midrange as opposed to the top of the range.

Enjoy the suits. Hopefully we will make some more Piumas one day

Cheers
JCH

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:25 am

Let me add my thanks to Michael and the LL. As for the LL cloth, well, I haven't bought from my tailor's books for a quite awhile now. And I can't think of why I would.

And David, I've got 6 suits in Piuma (maybe I should be embarrassed by that number now that I write it down) and I think I might prefer the Piuma over the Brisa, or maybe it's just more fitting for my home climate.

Regards
davidhuh

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Dear JCH,
JCH wrote:And David, I've got 6 suits in Piuma (maybe I should be embarrassed by that number now that I write it down)
If anything, you should be grateful :D
JCH wrote:and I think I might prefer the Piuma over the Brisa, or maybe it's just more fitting for my home climate.
I prefer Brisa over Piuma because the cloth has more texture and the weave is not as dense, thus allowing better ventilation. But that's me 8)

Cheers, David
  • Information