"It's all in your head"

A selection of London Lounge articles
davidhuh

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 pm

jonathans wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:11 pm

With heavier fabrics, do you fully line?
Dear Jonathans,

All my flannel is fully lined - not the trousers though.

Cheers, David
jonathans

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am

alden wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:21 pm
The other option is to wait, put another project up for this year, one that you have "exceptional" cloth for and let's see if we can make the LL flannel in a classic wide chalkstripe. I would LOVE to make one in navy blue, one in English gray, one in gray and one in brown just like I did for the LL/Fox Flannel book.

But you might not like LL flannel because its heritage goes way back. There is nothing soft about it. No cashmere in it. It has the rustic, thick, rough hand of traditional flannels from the 30s. And it wears like a worsted. You won't need two trousers (but make them anyway.) :D

Cheers
I thought LL Flannels are the same as the Fox Heritage Flannels - no? I might be mistaken. I was looking at https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collec ... pe-flannel - would that be different from a fabric that LL would produce?
Screaminmarlon

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 am

alden wrote:
if we can make the LL flannel in a classic wide chalkstripe. I would LOVE to make one in navy blue, one in English gray, one in gray and one in brown just like I did for the LL
It has the rustic, thick, rough hand of traditional flannels from the 30s. And it wears like a worsted. You won't need two trousers (but make them anyway.) :D

Cheers
I’d be in as well
alden

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:05 pm

thought LL Flannels are the same as the Fox Heritage Flannels - no? I might be mistaken. I was looking at https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collec ... pe-flannel - would that be different from a fabric that LL would produce?
I designed a book of Flannel for Fox. It was the London Lounge/Fox Book

We make our own brand of LL flannel now in Scotland.
Melcombe

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:32 pm

alden wrote:
The other option is to wait, put another project up for this year, one that you have "exceptional" cloth for and let's see if we can make the LL flannel in a classic wide chalkstripe. I would LOVE to make one in navy blue, one in English gray, one in gray and one in brown just like I did for the LL/Fox Flannel book.

But you might not like LL flannel because its heritage goes way back. There is nothing soft about it. No cashmere in it. It has the rustic, thick, rough hand of traditional flannels from the 30s. And it wears like a worsted. You won't need two trousers (but make them anyway.) :D

Cheers
The only reason I have generally steered away from flannel is wholly irrational : as a child I wore a heavy flannel school uniform - to a school I despised. As you will suppose, the uniforms were destruction-tested by schoolboys, yet bore up remarkably well.

Some boys had the blazers their fathers and older brothers had worn, which is a sort of testament to the durability of cloth from the 60s at least.
jonathans

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:21 pm

alden wrote:

Cheers
I ended up waiting & putting another project up for this year - an vintage vicash from the 80s or 90s (I knew at one point, but I don't remember). When do you normally run a fabric project for the Fall? Definitely interested. How many grams is your flannel? I was looking at the Fox Flannel (370/410), and Harrisons Flannel (410, if I recall), and while it wasn't to bad, it wasn't what i was looking for.
alden

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:58 pm

I ended up waiting & putting another project up for this year - an vintage vicash from the 80s or 90s (I knew at one point, but I don't remember). When do you normally run a fabric project for the Fall? Definitely interested. How many grams is your flannel? I was looking at the Fox Flannel (370/410), and Harrisons Flannel (410, if I recall), and while it wasn't to bad, it wasn't what i was looking for.
I will put an LL flannel (425-435 gms) Special Subscription up soon in a Navy Blue Chalkstripe so you can have it for Fall.

Cheers
jonathans

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm

alden wrote:
I will put an LL flannel (425-435 gms) Special Subscription up soon in a Navy Blue Chalkstripe so you can have it for Fall.

Cheers
Thanks - just confirming, Is that the normal LL Flannel weight? Or do you normally do heavier? I was thinking it'd be even heavier, but I'll trust your judgment - Im a novice compared to you.
alden

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks - just confirming, Is that the normal LL Flannel weight? Or do you normally do heavier? I was thinking it'd be even heavier, but I'll trust your judgment - Im a novice compared to you.
Right. I was thinking of the LL DD Worsted. The LL Flannel is 465 gms. And it is a heavy, tightly woven 465.

Cheers
GSC

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 pm

A new LL Flannel is exciting. I'll be interested to learn more about it and how it compared with the wonderful, previous LL Flannels.
alden

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:35 pm

A new LL Flannel is exciting. I'll be interested to learn more about it and how it compared with the wonderful, previous LL Flannels.
GSC

The LL flannel I am talking about is the one we have always made. It is only "new" as compared to the LL/Fox Flannels we did in the past.

Cheers
Screaminmarlon

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:41 pm

alden wrote:

Cheers
Wonderful!
GSC

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Yes, great news! I must have missed the discussion about a new source for flannel. Any chance there will be more options, maybe something part of the evergreen list?
alden

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:00 am

For example, we used LL Flannel to make this beauty:

ImageIMG_1215 by The London Lounge, on Flickr
GSC

Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:59 am

Looks spectacular! I'll be curious to see how the new LL flannel differs from the earlier LL Flannel, which is fabulous. If you ever make that pattern again, count me in.
  • Information