Are you blue or grey?

A selection of London Lounge articles
alden

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:05 pm

It is said that there are blue men and grey men. Each return to their favorite colors as swallows to San Capistrano. Men return to one of these colors for a variety of reasons. Maybe their coloration or work environment leads them to prefer one color over the other.

I am not sure it’s true of blondes, but grey guys have more fun.

For the business environment, or occasions that are formal, the color of the suit should have one quality: it should be as neutral as possible. The visual impact of the suit comes from its cut and fit, and the way it is complimented with shirt, tie and accessories.

Mid-grey is about as neutral as pumice stone. Dark grey, light grey and blue-grey are striking in their own ways; they can be used with supremely elegant effect. Grey fabrics offer variety and nuance that blues cannot hope to match. That’s why the grey team is a happy team.

The navy suit is the salesman’s suit. It fills both the wearer and beholder with a clear, forthright and hard working brand of honest confidence. It is athletic, disciplined and toned. The blue suit is well defined.

Grey suits are more mysterious. Their mottled reflection leads to many more questions than answers. Our eyes linger on their image as we search for clues. The hero wears a white hat and the villain a black one. Who is that wearing the grey? Mystery holds our attention. The grey suit is refined.

Defined or refined, each has its place in the connoisseur’s wardrobe.
TVD

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm

Ah, Michael, much of what you said about grey is true. Yet over the last five years or so the Continental European banker / lawyer discovered a charcoal Super 150s worsted of such unmitigated dullness, no stripes, no mottling, not even pick stitching, just neat, uniform, machined dark boredom, that it put me off grey for a few years.

I am back, but it is so important to chose a grey with depth, a pattern, a stripe, the mottling and interest of a flannel, nap to the surface, whatever it takes to make it warm and interesting.

Another experience I made is that the more uniform the colour of the cloth, the more is demanded of the tailor: it is the shape and the detail that breathes life into the garnment.
alden

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:41 pm

Yes TVD I was thinking more about the mottled woolen flannels, and chalk stripes so dear to the elegant dresser. But you know even a light grey fresco has it over its blue equivalent. And imagine the light grey fresco with a powder blue windowpane that would not work as well in blue. Do you prefer grey Glen Checks or does blue work for you? Grey is the answer once again.

Just a little celebration of grey, for those who may have the blues this Sunday.
TVD

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:51 pm

And there are some beautifully mottled greys in the JJ Minnis Fresco book, I even recall one with pale plue chalk stripe.

The problem with checks is that they are so small. One would not chose a 5 mm pinstripe either, so why do they make the plaids so small scale?! Do they think we are all accountants. I am, but at least I have no intention to look like one.

Once upon a time one crosses paths with somebody who wears a rich mid grey. Usually Italian, the type one would describe as a "condotiere", whose elegance is based on the best tailors, the best shirtmakers, the best weavers, and their combined efforts worn with a certain nonchalant carelessness.
stbdtack

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:08 pm

Michael,

I totally agree that grey is of a higher class -- but, certainly, not as well understood by the "masses". My preference is for very dark grey with a subtle stripe (or not). When I'm in circumstances where I must influence ordinary folks (unless they are all women) I always choose blue.
Mr. Rover

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:22 pm

Yes, gray does indeed carry over in terms of variety and elegance, but somethinga bout a dark, dark, almost black navy worsted or a royal blue flannel grounds a solid wardrobe.
Afterall, what color can be made into something as formal as a tuxedo (mightnight blue) and as casual as a blazer?

Ray
  • Information