For Alden (and others)

A selection of London Lounge articles
dopey

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:50 am

This evening, I caught a few minutes of Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.
In one scene, Bing Crosby was wearing a 4x1 DB suit with patch pockets. I seem to recall your commenting once that you didn't like patch breast pockets with DB coats because the effect of the patch breast pocket and larger lapels was too busy (I hope I am remembering you correctly). On Crosby's suit the lapel does slightly impinge on the breast pocket. In a later scene, he is wearing a similarly styled dark blazer (cut 4x2, worn 4x1).

I can see and understand your point (again, if I am remembering it correctly). It is certainly busy and crowded. In the second scene, he wears a silk pocket square that peeks out from behind the lapel and then back over it. No square was worn with the suit. I am not certain that I can conclude that the combination of DB and patch breast pocket is always to be avoided, but I am leaning that way.

This issue aside, I generally like the appearance Crosby makes in this film, particularly as he labors under the burden of playing opposite Astaire. As an aside, the picture of Bing and Fred together placed by Tutee in this thread http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... start=30am is a bit unfair to Mr. Crosby. He is caught in an awkward mid-croon pose.
alden

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:55 pm

The real problem comes with a 6 x 2 DB where the top decorative button crowds the patch pocket.

In a 4 x 2 there can be problems for those who prefer particularly wide lapels. Somehow I see the lapel issue as being less of a problem. The patch can be positioned to avoid too much overlap.
dopey

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:09 pm

alden wrote:The real problem comes with a 6 x 2 DB where the top decorative button crowds the patch pocket.

. . .
This certainly makes sense. And a true 4x1 would be better than a 4x2, even one worn 4x1, although I imagine, the width of the lapel is, as you say, more important than the angle of attack..
  • Information