Sartorial Heaven, Sartorial Hell

A selection of London Lounge articles
alden

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:00 am

Many of you will know the old joke about European Heaven and Hell. In Euro heaven: the French are the cooks, the Italians are the lovers, the English are the police, the Germans are the mechanics and the Swiss are the administrators. In Euro hell: the English are the cooks, the Swiss are the lovers, the Germans are the police, the French are the mechanics and the Italians are the administrators. OK.

To compose your Sartorial Heaven and Hell we give you the following example: the English, Italians, French, and Americans. Here is an example of Sartorial Heaven: the English are the stylists and cutters, the Italians sew, the French copy the previous two, and the Americans are the customers. In Sartorial hell: the English sew, the Italians are the stylists, Americans copy the previous two, and the French are the customers.

OK Have at it and lets read your versions of Sartorial heaven and hell. Choose whatever nationalities and qualities.

Cheers

M Alden
Last edited by alden on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
culverwood

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 am

Heaven - English cutter in shop designed by Italian with American service and French brandy.

Hell - Italian stylist in shop designed by French with English service and American brandy.
rjman

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

I saw "Sartorial Hell" and wondered why Alden was coming to Washington.
JDelage

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:03 pm

rjman wrote:I saw "Sartorial Hell" and wondered why Alden was coming to Washington.
Do you mean, Washingto State? Because surely Seattle is sartorial hell.
RWS

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:30 pm

JDelage wrote:
rjman wrote:I saw "Sartorial Hell" and wondered why Alden was coming to Washington.
Do you mean, Washingto State? . . . .
Oh, no, JD; didn't you notice that RJ posts from "Freedom"? Where else could that be but at the seat of overweening power, Washington, D.C.?
rjman

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:53 pm

RWS wrote:
JDelage wrote:
Do you mean, Washingto State? . . . .
Oh, no, JD; didn't you notice that RJ posts from "Freedom"? Where else could that be but at the seat of overweening power, Washington, D.C.?
Sry, need to update that, kthxbai.
RWS

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Ah, yes. "Hope and Change". We know that Hope is a town in Arkansas. As for "Change" . . . well, let's see . . . . 'Might be New York city ("Buddy, can you spare a dime?"); or, maybe, Detroit (quite a lot of change in fifteen billions!).
alden

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:55 pm

That'll be the day!

RJ, how bad was the shock of re-entry? From Marbeuf to plain boeuf must be a shocker. Have you had counseling? a shrink? Or are these passe?

Is the Sartorial netherworld as bad a reported? Does LCD (lowest Common denominator) style reign?

Cheers

Michael

p/venez a si/sans G a
rjman

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:15 pm

RWS wrote:Ah, yes. "Hope and Change". We know that Hope is a town in Arkansas. As for "Change" . . . well, let's see . . . . 'Might be New York city ("Buddy, can you spare a dime?"); or, maybe, Detroit (quite a lot of change in fifteen billions!).
Surely you realize I ironize. For a long time I thought Hope and Change were Obama's daughters! Let us avoid the political... Anyway, DC may be beyond hope of change.
alden wrote:
That'll be the day!

RJ, how bad was the shock of re-entry? From Marbeuf to plain boeuf must be a shocker. Have you had counseling? a shrink? Or are these passe?

Is the Sartorial netherworld as bad a reported? Does LCD (lowest Common denominator) style reign?

Cheers

Michael
Alden, you forget that I was crazy already. I find that one can sometimes get a better steak in the States than in Freedom, that I was happy to be reunited with my US-current Gaggia, and that cohabitation beats a lonely bachelor existence, although I have a lot of explaining to do whenever any new packages arrive.
alden

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:27 pm

RJ

I am relieved to know you are well. The confirmation of your good mental health is implicit in ranking a good steak and cup of java ahead of your partner. One must know when to separate good taste from the merely romantic. Or is it the inspection of parcels that caused her to dip in the RJ polls? :)

Cheers

Michael
RWS

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:04 pm

rjman wrote:
RWS wrote:Ah, yes. "Hope and Change". We know that Hope is a town in Arkansas. As for "Change" . . . well, let's see . . . . 'Might be New York city ("Buddy, can you spare a dime?"); or, maybe, Detroit (quite a lot of change in fifteen billions!).
Surely you realize I ironize.
But of course! I merely attempted to peg onto your opening; somehow shared humor en vivo falls flat in two dimensions.
rjman wrote:For a long time I thought Hope and Change were Obama's daughters! Let us avoid the political... Anyway, DC may be beyond hope of change.
After eight years in the Seat of Power, I came to the same tentative conclusion. But back to the sartorial: is it true that only Field's remains of the several good tailors who, as recently as the late 1980s, could be found in and around the District?
rjman

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28 pm

RWS wrote:But back to the sartorial: is it true that only Field's remains of the several good tailors who, as recently as the late 1980s, could be found in and around the District?
I suppose you'd have to name the good tailors you had in mind. Will Field is still around, warm and welcoming and ably running the house his late father began. Baytok is still around, no personal experience with him. Otherwise... ? Georges de Paris is around, but no one who actually knows about tailoring has ever had a good word about him IME.
RWS

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:28 pm

rjman wrote:. . . . Georges de Paris is around, but no one who actually knows about tailoring has ever had a good word about him IME.
'Reminds me of an anecdote, regrettably not suitable here, dating from my brief service at the White House, nearly thirty years ago. No, no one well-informed would likely enter that shop.
  • Information