Last Bow Tie Day

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
rodes

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:29 pm

I normally wear bow ties from Advent through Christmastide to set this special time on the calendar apart and remind myself not to work too hard. However, bow ties have so many merits that I'm tempted to wear them more often. They are less expensive. You can get them made to measure in hundreds of patterns. They are somewhat more versatile with respect to matching with suits and shirts because of the smaller presentation. Because they set in front of your collar rather than beneath it, you can wear a collar that is slightly larger and more comfortable.. You don't have to worry about the right knot, tie space, point length, etc. If you work with drawings all day, as I do, they never get in the way. You have to try hard to spill anything on them. They look great with double breasted suits. More casual with sports coats. Fun.
The only down side seems to be the aesthetic image that the bow tie presents. If you dress mainly to please yourself, then this Is not a downside at all for me because I like them. If you dress for others, and all of us do to some measure, then it could be. And yet, I tend to get more favorable comments on my bow ties than anything else I wear. Perhaps, this is not the last bow tie day after all.
davidhuh

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:41 pm

Dear Rodes,

bow ties are charming. Wear them, please wear them. People will love you for it.

Cheers, David
andy57

Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:09 am

I agree with David.
kfa

Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Every day is bow-tie day :-)
Luca

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:54 pm

Well into my 50s, I've received my very FIRSTbow tie (other than black tie, natch.) as a prezzie and look forward to wearing it!
davidhuh

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:10 am

Luca wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:54 pm
Well into my 50s, I've received my very FIRSTbow tie (other than black tie, natch.) as a prezzie and look forward to wearing it!
Dear Luca,

now that's a reason for a drink 8)

Cheers, David
jaydeputy

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 pm

I am new to this group, but was interested in the commented conversation regarding bow ties. I am 62, and have formally retired twice from the work I chose to do. I have always worn bow ties because I preferred their practicality as well as their aesthetic. Over the years, I have collected (not accumulated) several hundred bow ties. I do not wear them much anymore because of the work I do presently is accomplished in a studio. I do, however, wear them at my supper club (the University and Whist Club) or my yacht club (The Corinthain Yacht Club of Philadelphia). Bow ties related to a by-gone era. They are not for every occasion. As well, I have had several long ties converted successfully into bow ties. Please keep wearing bow ties...they are dapper and elegant at the same time. I have always thought it took a little more dare to wear bow ties.
davidhuh

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 pm

jaydeputy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:16 pm
Please keep wearing bow ties...they are dapper and elegant at the same time. I have always thought it took a little more dare to wear bow ties.
Dear jaydeputy,

now you make an interesting point. Yes, bow ties are dapper and elegant. Do they take more dare to wear? I never thought about this that way. Actually, they make me smile, And this is the usual reaction I get when wearing one, which is not very often, mostly due to my tie collection. Actually, this is something I could change a bit... 8)

Cheers, David
snapper

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:20 am

I have heard it said “ most men who wear bow ties do so because most men don’t “ - any thoughts?
Regards Snapper
Luca

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:07 pm

snapper wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:20 am
I have heard it said “ most men who wear bow ties do so because most men don’t “ - any thoughts?
Regards Snapper
Not so long ago, I wrote a piece about the three main types of vintage aficionados / retrocentrics. But it could also apply to other stylistic choices.

In my opinion, some fellows will pick a certain style because they like it but also because it is distinctive. Others, however, focus more on the intrinsic aesthetic of that look.
Neither is 'better' or 'truer' than the other; just different motivations.

Certainly, a lot (a LOT) of chaps will not wear anything that is not commonly worn.
Melcombe

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm

I believe that bow ties are subject to the same tides of fashion as most "sartorial issues" tend to be.

In the UK the tide is definitely out. I, for one, am sorry for it. As work attire, the bow tie was largely the reserve of the senior physician and the heavyweight barrister.

Medical doctors are aparently advised not to wear ties of any sort these days for fear of carrying around germs on them - and court dress is now mostly lounge suits rather than wigs, wing collars and bands. A bow tie allowed you to keep your wing collar on outside court, rather than having to change it for a soft one & a long tie.

As a slightly rarified indicator of professional status, bow tie wearing occasionally still crops up, prematurely, in the merely aspirational rather than the accomplished - and sadly is now taken as a rather ominous sign when seen on anyone other than the 'late-middle-aged' or very confidently flamboyant.

It's a shame. Tying a good bow tie without a mirror is a skill worth acquiring in my opinion. But give it a few years and they'll be blossoming like spring flowers after receding winter snow.
rodes

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Melcombe,
Interesting that you should mention the UK. I was there on holiday in the late winter of 2019. I saw very few bow ties, yet mine seemed to be appreciated. I often wear them to cultural events like concerts, plays, museum trips, whisky tastings so a trip to the UK was a bow tie event for me. Every one seemed to want to engage with me. I felt blessed.
Luca

Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:53 pm

Finally! The new (first) bow tie.

ImageIMG_0795 by info at claxity, on Flickr
davidhuh

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:01 am

Caro Luca,

guardo che bello! :D

Cari saluti, David
rodes

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am

Thank you all for the thoughtful comments. After reading my own post from the twelfth night, I decided to extend my bow tie wearing for a week, then two. I'm still wearing them. Gentlemen of the London Lounge, this is an idea whose time has come. Cleaner, neater, generally more casual but can be more formal, more versatile, more practical, more comfortable and cheaper.

There is not one reading this who would not look dashing in a bow tie. Wear them for a week and you will not return to this long tie world.
  • Information