Herb Alpert

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
alden

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:54 pm

His life's story is told here and there are some great nuggets in it that relate to developing one's own style/voice/life

http://www.lamag.com/longform/herb-alpe ... n-tune-11/

“You have to be free,” he says. “I just make shapes that feel good to me. I fool with it until I get a good feeling.”

“Trust your feelings. If it doesn’t feel good to you, it’s not going to feel good to anyone else. ”

Cheers
loarbmhs

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:48 pm

I went to a charity event a few years ago and Herb Alpert was one of the honorees. At the end of the evening, we were in line together, waiting for the valets to returns our cars. I mentioned being a fan of his Whipped Cream and Other Delights album and quickly moved to the question that had been bugging me for decades, "How did you get all the whipped cream to stick like that?" His answer: "It wasn't whipped cream. It was shaving cream."
alden

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I suppose I did spend a lot more time studying the Whipped Cream tunes than the others back then...

ImageR-4667073-1371605290-5998.jpeg by The London Lounge, on Flickr

These days I pass hours playing exercises by guys called Arban, Irons, Gordon and St. Jacome when I could be playing "Love Potion Number 9." :shock:

Cheers
  • Information