Merits of the Bow Tie

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Luca

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:53 am

bertie wrote:...a formula for how long a bow tie should be relative to neck size.
Care to share that formula?
HristoStefanov

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Luca wrote:
bertie wrote:...a formula for how long a bow tie should be relative to neck size.
I think it is best to take one adjustable bow tie and to experiment a little bit until you find the correct setting and to measure it. This might mean to tie the bow tie 10 times, but you will know which is the best for you.
hectorm

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Luca wrote:
I would not trust such a "formula". Neck size is only one consideration in determining the right length of a bowtie. Material and construction make a significant difference. As does the width of the bowtie itself.
Luca

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, it could be a starting point, surely? Better than blind luck?
hectorm

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Luca wrote:Well, it could be a starting point, surely? Better than blind luck?
As a starting point it wouldn´t hurt (and who knows, it might work), but I tend to agree with Hristo: taking one adjustable bowtie, experimenting a little bit and measuring it, seems safer to me than a formula.
rodes

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:18 pm

I have noticed that some men who regularly wear bow ties often tend to look better and more natural in them than straight ties. One example is congressman Patrick McHenry of NC. There are numerous photos of him in both and IMHO the bow tie is just a better look for him. Alas, I am not one of these and 95% of the time I go straight. Still, I delight in the other 5%.
hectorm

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm

rodes wrote:I have noticed that some men who regularly wear bow ties often tend to look better and more natural in them than straight ties. I am not one of these and 95% of the time I go straight. Still, I delight in the other 5%.
Dear Rodes,
You´ll see that when you wear your ties (bow or long) with a very high neckline jacket, waistcoat or vest, it does not make such a substantial difference.
David Hober

Sun May 14, 2017 2:12 pm

bertie wrote:I suspect, like many here, my only bow tie for a long time was for my DJ. I have always struggled with tieing the bow tie and attributed it to my more general lifelong struggle with knots (barely passed sailing school in my teens). I had thought that my black bow tie was long enough until one day I was googling some random things and came across a formula for how long a bow tie should be relative to neck size. Well it turns out my original bow tie was at least three inches shorter than the formula would suggest. I ordered a new tie from Sam Hober (after a bit of discussion with him on the desired effect) and what a difference. It is now much easier to tie and I like the results much more (feels more substantial than my old one).

I've since ordered a few more casual bow ties to wear with tweed on casual Fridays. I thought maybe it was a bit dandy for my workplace but, wow, do the ladies like bow ties.
Bertie,

Good to hear that your new length worked well.

Bow ties are a fun tie to work on as there are a number of variables that are very much a personal style choice - Vertical end height, shape and length etc. the untied length is a challenge to get right and while we do have the basics of a formula on our site - it is a work in progress... Any suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

Speaking of shapes there used to be a post on this forum about Charvet's shapes I think there may have been an interview involved also but not sure.

Does anyone know how to find it? I haven't been able to search for it so far - maybe Alden?
  • Information