Style Icons in Films - Please share some of your favorites.

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
theoldesouth

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:40 am

Have seen and enjoyed it, too, Hristo. :wink:

By the way, I'd like to again encourage you folks to, if you haven't already, watch Astaire's The Pleasure of His Company. His comfortable, casual and elegant style is repeatedly on display. In colour. It's available for viewing on Amazon.com.
raykalendek

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm

I seem to remember another LL member long ago making reference to Ray Milland as an often overlooked but most stylish man. I've always found him to be so, from my first memory of him in the role of Roderick Fitzgerald in the film 'The Uninvited' (1944), when I was first privileged to see it many decades ago. For those of you who've seen this film, the suit to which I refer (please forgive me) of a rich and substantial dark blue fabric that, possibly a wool/mohair blend or a flannel, draped as well as anyone could possibly hope for and conferred on the man a most impressive self-confidence and disarming insouciance. It informed my sense of how I would wish to dress, were it within my grasp. It is exactly this subtle elegance that I've these many decades courted. While I fear I've fallen rather short of the mark, I've never let discouragement undermine my quest. The
LL has, certainly, helped me to get closer than I might have otherwise. http://acertaincinema.com/media-tags/ra ... nd/page/2/
theoldesouth

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:04 pm

'The Uninvited,' got it. Will make a point of watching it, thanks R.

Reply (and link) much appreciated.
Melcombe

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Dial M for Murder

L to R

Ray Milland
Robert Cummings
John Williams

Ray Milland is wearing a patch pocket grey tweed coat in much of the film - othewise the wardrobe dept was ringing the changes with some thoroughly conservative examples of 1950s apparel, albeit nicely cut.
raykalendek

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:24 am

Dial M for Murder, an excellent film. And John Williams, Hughson in To Catch a Thief, has always been for me a favorite supporting actor. It's oddly incomprehensible, at least to me, how dress that 60 or 70 years ago seemed so sartorially quick, fluent, and easy now taxes our wits. Gentlemen, groups such as ours, rare though they've become, are the last oases left in the deserts of male elegance. At all costs we must conspire to keep the faith.
Melcombe

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:08 am

raykalendek wrote:Dial M for Murder, an excellent film. And John Williams, Hughson in To Catch a Thief, has always been for me a favorite supporting actor. It's oddly incomprehensible, at least to me, how dress that 60 or 70 years ago seemed so sartorially quick, fluent, and easy now taxes our wits. Gentlemen, groups such as ours, rare though they've become, are the last oases left in the deserts of male elegance. At all costs we must conspire to keep the faith.
Invitation to conspire gratefully received.

Ray Milland was my father's cousin. I love seeing him in (his better) films as his bearing and profile do remind me of Dad.

I regret very much that "Uncle Ray" didn't bequeath his wardrobe to this side of the family. Or anything else for that matter. We never actually met him - I suppose that's why!
theoldesouth

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 am

Will have to re-watch Dial M, and look for the sartorial details mentioned!

And, agreed, I too admired John Williams' sartorial style in To Catch a Thief. Not to mention Cary's... :wink:

Thank you, gentlemen.
Bwooster

Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:03 pm

Walter Matthau’s wardrobe in A New Leaf inspired me to resuscitate this thread. His suits are extraordinarily well cut, his apartment extremely tasteful (spotted both a Philip Guston and Jules Olitski on his walls), and the film manages to tick a lot of other boxes too: hysterical and clever writing, great acting, classic Ferraris, and a prerequisite witty valet. Highly recommend it!
theoldesouth

Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:23 am

Thanks, Bwooster. Sorry for the much delayed acknowledgement.

Will watch it again, mindful of your observations.

Cheers
pur_sang

Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:05 am

I guess it says a lot that no one mentioned anyone under 40, or 50... did anyone mention anyone that is not dead?
  • Information