Last Bow Tie Day

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Concordia

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:59 am

Luca wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:53 pm
Finally! The new (first) bow tie.

ImageIMG_0795 by info at claxity, on Flickr
Looks good! It is a bit of a trick balancing the smaller bow tie with the large surface of a suit, especially when DB or 3pc. This combo works well.

I should concur with JayDeputy about the practical use of bow ties. Shrinks like them, of course, because they protect one from strangulation by patients. And there are those days when you just know that, on your way to work, some helpless mother is going to need your help changing an infant's diaper in a crowded place. All events to be handled as gracefully as possible.
Luca

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:11 pm

Concordia wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:59 am
Looks good! It is a bit of a trick balancing the smaller bow tie with the large surface of a suit, especially when DB or 3pc. This combo works well.

I should concur with JayDeputy about the practical use of bow ties. Shrinks like them, of course, because they protect one from strangulation by patients. And there are those days when you just know that, on your way to work, some helpless mother is going to need your help changing an infant's diaper in a crowded place. All events to be handled as gracefully as possible.
Thanks v. much.

I find what you say about balancing a bowtie with a 3-piece or DB interesting because I've had the opposite thought, in a way.
Namely, that with a SB jacket and no waistcoat, particularly if you ever unbutton the jacket, there is an awful lot of short showing, when you wear a bowtie instead of a long tie.
With a waistcoat, there is only a limited triangle of shirt and so the bow is nicely framed. Just my US$ 0.02
Last edited by Luca on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Concordia

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Oh, the shirt does become more of the package, and needs to be accounted for while drawing the balance. And a 2-button jacket (I was speaking only of 3pc and DB) does have a bit more space to play with. A good thing, assuming that the shirt does not, in turn, swamp the bow tie. It is the premise behind the durable elegance of the dinner jacket.
rodes

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 pm

True enough, the bow tie shows more shirt. There are a number of ways to deal with this. Vest, slipover, double breasted coat, or a shirt that has some interest on its own, such as a check. One could also ask, is this an issue in the first place? Consider the dinner jacket which traditionally has only one button. Does anyone notice? Iv'e never read, "James Bond is really showing a lot of shirt below his black tie".
Concordia

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:35 pm

Oh, usually not a problem. Especially if one is reasonably fit, and has trousers of a useful rise. Also, a properly tailored jacket will not permit too much width on that front. But all boxes to check before committing. You do see bowties on men who probably should not have gone down that path.
  • Information