Wool suits in Bangkok in 1947

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
andy57

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:02 pm

ImageBox B Album 2_Page 11 by Andrew Poupart, on Flickr

This is a photograph in which my wife's grandfather appears. It was taken in 1947, most probably in Bangkok where he worked for Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank. He and his family had just relocated back there from Hong Kong. What is remarkable about the image, to my mind, is that many of the men in the photo are wearing what certainly seems to be fairly heavy wool suits, some double breasted, and shirts and ties, of course. And this is Bangkok, where I don't believe the weather ever gets to what we might consider cool. I can't help but wonder how these gentlemen aren't melting. And yet, we have many photos in which the men are wearing clothing of similarly appearing weights. We also have photographs, however, where the subjects are wearing the most elegant light-colored tropical suits, almost always with a shirt and tie. Difficult to image such a scene occurring these days, especially in hot and humid climes!
Luca

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:04 pm

Stout fellows!

One gets the distinct impression that in those days various standards of what they would have considered 'decorum' were rigidly adhered to, among people of certain strata. Discomfort be damned and all taht.
A conservative, Presbyterian, Scots bank like HSBC in the inter-war years... Oof! I can't imagine a lot of latitude on attire...

Plenty of pictures of Western Europeans wearing three-piece suits (even if in lighter fabrics) a hat, socks, lace-up shoes etc. at the height of summer.

The only mitigating factor I can think of is that I've sometimes witnessed people who grew up and lived in very warm/humid climates apparently be able to stand warmer clothes than someone from a more temperate climate might be able to bear.

Don't know if they actually felt less hot or just put up with it more uncomplainingly (it always seemed a bit personal to ask, someone you don't know well whether they're burning up).
Noble Savage

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:17 am

Reading an account of life in Bangkok in old times, before air conditioning, it appears that daytime was for sleeping, and night for conducting business.
rjman

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Noble Savage wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:17 am
Reading an account of life in Bangkok in old times, before air conditioning, it appears that daytime was for sleeping, and night for conducting business.
let's not forget the old saying that a night there could make a strong man crumble.
sartorczar

Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 pm

What a great photo, Andy. Your observations are definitely interesting, And your comments touch upon one of those moments in history steeped in mystery and magic. In the 1950’s Bangkok was in transition, on the verge of embracing western modernization in full force. Yet ancient customs and ways of living were very much in play.

Going to market could manifest as hopping in a low-slung canoe (known as a sampan) and bobbing around the canals as you made your selection of fresh fruits such as pomelo, mangosteens and the ever-controversial durian. Streets were packed with three wheeled scooters known as “samlors” belching clouds of exhaust smoke, while water buffalo would meander down the middle of side streets as vendors trotted along with their snacks and wares bouncing rhythmically from a pole resting across their shoulder.

Add to this the sudden influx of “farang” or foreigners, with their strange customs and manner of dress, and you had a fascinating, exotic mix of cultural clash. The Thais and the “farang” made gracious attempts to embrace and understand very different ways of dressing, eating, and socializing.

As a young lad it was my good fortune to have witnessed this era before it faded when my family lived in Bangkok during the 1950’s and early 60’s. This was before commercial air travel came into full swing, and most foreigners were either diplomats, missionaries, businessmen or military. It was an open secret that those who had strange job titles were usually clandestine operatives, or “spooks” as we called them. I well remember keenly observing as my father was fitted for several linen suits and a dinner jacket with a tailor in Hong Kong early on during our time in the orient.

My impression is that wool suits were an early false start for many new comers, as well as being the attire for a small group of old schoolers. Although it could on occasion reach rather cool temps during the rainy season, it was warm, to say the least for most of the year. It seemed people opted for linen or cotton suits, while more casual dress, akin to Aloha attire, was considered acceptable for most occasions. Thai silk was making a big splash, to a significant extent thanks to Jim Thompson’s entrepreneurial efforts and many opted for beautiful shirts akin to the “guayabera” style.

There was a graceful element of formality, and it was expected that you would host one or two gala outdoor parties each year for colleagues and friends. These were usually extravagant affairs with sumptuous buffets and decor. Torches and lanterns would illuminate the meticulously kept gardens. Women would wear dresses of shimmering Thai silk that pullulated with a fantastic array of saffron, vermillion, cobalt, and emerald green. I remember climbing up into my secret perch in a mango tree to peer down upon the crowd while listening to the traditional Thai music, mixed with occasional renditions of the latest pop tunes. The air was thick with the perfume of gardenias and incense.

I trust you are well in the times we now face. Wishing you and all our fellow Loungers a safe albeit abbreviated Thanksgiving holiday.

-James
davidhuh

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:00 am

Dear James,

great story about Bangkok in the 50s/60s. I heard very similar tales from friends who spent the same period in Saigon and Phnom Penh. Unfortunately, I'm slightly too young to have made to made the experience myself...

Cheers, David
BruceZhang

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:55 am

According to the information in Chinese above, this picture is taken in Hong Kong in March,1941.
And it's a group photo of the chairman and colleagues of China Insurance Company.
Great Picture !
andy57

Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:20 pm

BruceZhang wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:55 am
According to the information in Chinese above, this picture is taken in Hong Kong in March,1941.
And it's a group photo of the chairman and colleagues of China Insurance Company.
Great Picture !
Oh, that's interesting, thank you. This photo was in an album of photos from Bangkok in the late '40s and the annotation beside it (in English) identified it as Bangkok, 1947. Regardless, it is a fascinating image. My wife's grandfather definitely worked for HSBC in Bangkok, but may have worked for CIC in Hong Kong. I'll have to ask.
  • Information